Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Water in headlight...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2003, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in headlight...

got into a little accident while back...i cracked the passenger side headlight and with the recent weather conditions here in california (slight rain lol) i got probably a cup of water inside the headlight housing...i just noticed it today when i pulled up to the garage and noticed from the reflection of the light that something was moving inside the headlight and saw a nice amount of water inside...duh i should've thought about it the first time i got into an accident....

anyway i need to know if theres a way to bleed the water out instead of having to take the lens and housing apart to take the water out...if not im just gonna go cruise the junkyards and see if i can pick up a headlight...although its hard to find a headlight at the junkyards since majority of accidents are front impact...

anyway let me know...i haven't checked the back of the headlight housing to see if theres a screw or something i can take out to drain the water out...just wanted to see if you guys knew of anything easy i can do to drain it out...before i end up taking my headlight out and what not...anyway thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

From what i figure.... you should be able to remove the all the bulbs, unbolt the housing, then the water should drain from the holes.

Or...now that i think more about it, unscrew the headlight bulb, get a shopvac, and suck the water out
Old Mar 1, 2003, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Same thing happened to me and every time i drained the light I ended up getting more water in the light. Is it your drivers or passenger side headlight?
Old Mar 1, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

cracked the passanger side headlight...hmmm yeah i figured i could just take the headlight out and drain the water out where the bulbs go...i was just hoping there would be a little bolt or something i can take out and not have to take the headlight out...hehe lol ok well i better get working on it. thanks guys.
Old Mar 1, 2003, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

to tell u the truth, i'd keep the water in there. i'd take out the headlight and find out where the water is going in. and then seal it up with some silicon. after that, i'd drain it and then was the inside with some distilled water to clean out the headlights and to prevetn spotting. then i'd sit the headlights inside for like a day or two til the headlight is fully dried b4 installation. since u did get water in there, i'd also check the bulbs to see if they are dirty or damaged and same thing with the sockets
Old Mar 1, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
once a headlight is cracked its almost impossible not to get condensation in it later good luck sealing it, i would just spring for a new headlight if it were me

that is if it is cracked of course liek i think it is, if it just opened up somehow by all means seal that ish up
Old Mar 1, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

yeah the crack is huge lol its right infront of the lens lol hehehe well with the crack right infront of the headlight i know there'll always be water in there...i just dont want the water to fill up the headlight but for now i'll just drain the water here and then...the winter season is soon to be over so it wont be much of a hassle...reason why im putting off on buying another headlight is because i plan to get the JDM ones soon as my tax return comes in...but if i can find a stock headlight for cheap i'll go ahead and pick it up.