Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

READ THIS - water leaking, HVAC, blower motor

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation READ THIS - water leaking, HVAC, blower motor

I figured out what my problem was with my heater/blower motor.. its crapping out. But a warning to all lancer owners. After much searching and figuring this out the hard way. A lot of lancer owners are complaing about AC, heat and leaking issuses. The AC hose that lets excess water out of the lancers very commonly gets clogged. For some this means strange noises in the dash and water leaking on the passanger side. IF YOU HAVE WATER LEAKING, SPLASHES, NOISES ON HARD TURNS...

1. Go to dealer get hose unclogged, usually done for free.
2. Get wire and plyers and unclogg it yourself. (located by firewall)

Unluckily for us the heater core, controls, and blower motor are located right next to where the water will build up and leak, behind the glove box. For me, and others, if you do not check this regularly, it will build up, leak in your car and eventually find its way into your blower motor and it can crap out. Not cool! My heat is not working, and my blower motor is shot, at only 40k, because of water leakage. And nobody carries these in excess, and the OEM part is $228.00!

So just a warning/reminder to all with water leakage problems. Fix it, before your without you heat or AC and get stuck paying for somehting that could have been prevented for free in about 10 minutes.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pictures for people who don't understand what hose you are talking about? i understand you but some others might not. thanks for the heads up. i need to check mine. it's been making a funny sound in the dash since the fall...i thought it was a fan going bad.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If you make a proper how to, with steps on fixing the problem along with pictures it would be worthy of a sticky. If not then it is just a suggestion on what to do. I am currently having this very problem so any info you can provide would be apreciated.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to take my car in twice now for this problem. A picture would be nice so I could see location of the drain. For some reason I can't find it, and I really don't want take it to the dealership the next time this happens.
Old May 2, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Still no update? I just dropped off my car at the dealer this morning to have the same issue fixed.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stealthlancerOZ
Unluckily for us the heater core, controls, and blower motor are located right next to where the water will build up and leak, behind the glove box. For me, and others, if you do not check this regularly, it will build up, leak in your car and eventually find its way into your blower motor and it can crap out.

it's been a couple months now; can't we get a picture of what you are talking about.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:52 PM

this just started on my car a couple of days ago. i'm just getting to 70k, and honestly, college has taken all my cash. I'd rather do it myself if it is as easy as it sounds. a good how-to would help, if anyone can find it.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

My a/c and heater only works on the high setting. Settings 1, 2, 3,do nothing! i can hear the a/c come on but the blower will not work unless set at the high setting. ive replaced the blower motor and still the same. i replaced the climate control unit (under the stereo) and still the same. any ideas on what is wrong? some one please help.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

I still have the same problem here, just haven't had a chance to pay and get it fixed at the stealership.

Apparently, it's a transistor that has gone back. Seems to happen to alot of lancers, yet it isn't a recall.... When I took mine in to get checked out the guy knew right away what the problem was. I just didn't have the 90 dollars to cough up for the transistor and then another load for the labor.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

any idea where its located? is it a transistor or relay?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 01:07 AM

yea It sounds like someone was taking a **** right next to me on the floor, it just happend today too. I guess im taking it to the dealer. still no pics?? heres where the water was coming from,
Old Jun 14, 2007, 01:12 AM

Ima try to do it myself and post pics in a few hours since nobody wants to do it!! but for now sleepy time.....
Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:36 PM

We all still need pictures, kinda freakin sad that there has been no pictures in ofer 3 years that this problem has been around...

Need a picture of under the car where the drain hose should be, and under the wipre mesh where the area is that is getting clogged...

I honestly where to look.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

*edit fix photos*

OMG, I need to put my pics here to help someone out. Didn't know there was a sticky for this. This is the area I unclogged!

This pic is a general area of where the drippy thing is, on the firewall (I have kinda a silly lil intake think that makes it look different than some peoples engine compartment) Also, I kinda missed with my arrow, it's about 10 inches below where I put my arrow....SORRY!
Name:  ACblock1_zps3857b790.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  122.2 KB

LOL at my floor mat drying in the picture!

This is zoomed in on it from where the intake was but I took it off to fix the leak
Name:  ACblock2_zpse4402610.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  56.6 KB

Last edited by HornstarBU; Sep 29, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by lncrphish
My a/c and heater only works on the high setting. Settings 1, 2, 3,do nothing! i can hear the a/c come on but the blower will not work unless set at the high setting. ive replaced the blower motor and still the same. i replaced the climate control unit (under the stereo) and still the same. any ideas on what is wrong? some one please help.
I now have this same problem, only works on high, and the A/C doesnt turn on on high, but comes on when in the other 3 settings, just the fan doesnt spin...

Quick Reply: READ THIS - water leaking, HVAC, blower motor