Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Idle thing Ive heard mentioned here before...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2006, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idle thing Ive heard mentioned here before...

At idle, my car revs up and down (under 1000), and when I turn the A/C on, it goes even more...?
Sometimes, when I start it, it'll rev up to 2000 and slowly work its way down...

My CEL has been on ever since that recall about the Cat.
I took it in and they said my CEL wasnt from the recall issue.
I didnt wanna pay ****, so I let it go, and have been driving with it ever since.
I got Headers about 3 weeks or so back, and I just upgraded the Exhaust to 2.5, and due to some loss of back-pressure with no Cats, I reinstalled the 2nd Cat.

I went to Auto Zone today to have the codes pulled and heres what I got back:

1400 - Aux. Emissions Control
421- Warm-Up Catalyst Below Threshold (Bank 1)
1400 - Aux. Emissions Control

I dunno why I got the same code twice, nor do I really know what any of this **** means, so please educate me here...

Ive heard of the Idle issue on here, and how to fix it, a few Forums back.
I just dont remember which Topic it was in, and I cant find it again...

So what are these issues???
Old Feb 20, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The start up thing is normal, thats the engine heating up the cats so they actually work. I believe the odd idle with AC is also normal. The car shouldn't be doing that jumpy idle normally though, and you might want to look at that. All I can think of is maybe your idle screw isn't set right, but unless you've installed a new manifold or TB then I doubt it. Just buy yourself a CEL fix and it'll be fine.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

You mean a new intake Manifold?
Whats a TB?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Yeah a new intake manifold. A TB is a throttlebody. Basically what I was saying is that nothing that you've installed so far should interfere with the throttlebody screw.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as for the CEL after having the ECU reflashed it WAS there fault but they didnt want to own up to it, however since you have mods now you cant prove it. Code 421 is because of the header, however code 1400 has to do with the ecu reflash. you MIGHT wanna pull your mods and take it back to the dealer and *****.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Wait so you mean, they reflashed the ECU and didnt tell me?
They just said "Oh well uhhh... your CEL isnt from the recall... uhhh we gotta check and see what else it is. Thatll be 85 bucks, and ummm... I dunno what itll be after that, cus it depends on what the actual problem is."

I thought they didnt do anything really...

What exactly does a Reflash entail anyway?
Do you think its necessary in my case, to spend 20 bucks on the CEL Eliminator from RRM?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

My idle was retarded after they flashed it and was completely erratic. Now it jumps starts at 2k and stays there and slowly goes down to about 1k once it thinks my absence of cats are warm, just tp and header. I was throwing a cel with the tp and made my own cel fix and it seems like my idle and everything including mpg has gone back to normal. Maybe it had nothing to do with either, but it seems like it.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Wait what "recall" did you have. The one im referring to was about 5-6 months ago when they called the lancers in to have the ECU reflashed to deal with some emissions deal that was set wrong in our ecu's. alot of guys went in and had the reflash done and after that they had erratic idles (alot of guys got REALLY pissed about that) I had mine done but never had an issue with the idle. As for the CEL elim. from RRM, i got one after i put my kamikaze header in and havent seen a CEL since ( GO RRM )
Old Feb 20, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a few pictures of the one I made using the Help! brand spark plug anti-foulers(42009):

Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xshieldsx
Now it jump starts at 2k and stays there and slowly goes down to about 1k once it thinks my absence of cats are warm,
Thats what mines doing, and then it revs/bounces between 600 to 800RPM.
When I turn on the A/C it goes up more.
I dont get it. I dont like it either.

My Recall issue was like this:
There was a Recall for some issue with the Pre-Cat (it set off CEL's unnecessarily)...
I took the car in for that, and they told me that my CEL wasnt for the Recall reason, but was on for something else.
They were gonna charge me to find out "why" and then charge me again to fix whatever the reason "why" was.

I said F-that and dealt with it (learned to ignore it), rather than spending money.
So I checked the codes today at Auto Zone and came up with what I had said before...

1400 Aux. Emiss. Control
421 Warm Up Catalyst Below Threshold (Bank 1)
1400 Again

Anyway, whats this idling issue...?
Will the CEL Elimin. 02 Bung Thingy be of use to me or no?

Last edited by CityKnight; Feb 21, 2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Thats what mines doing, and then it revs/bounces between 600 to 800RPM.
When I turn on the A/C it goes up more.
I dont get it. I dont like it either.

My Recall issue was like this:
There was a Recall for some issue with the Pre-Cat (it set off CEL's unnecessarily)...
I took the car in for that, and they told me that my CEL wasnt for the Recall reason, but was on for something else.
They were gonna charge me to find out "why" and then charge me again to fix whatever the reason "why" was.

I said F-that and dealt with it (learned to ignore it), rather than spending money.
So I checked the codes today at Auto Zone and came up with what I had said before...

1400 Aux. Emiss. Control
421 Warm Up Catalyst Below Threshold (Bank 1)
1400 Again

Anyway, whats this idling issue...?
Will the CEL Elimin. 02 Bung Thingy be of use to me or no?
Can't say that my homemade cel fix worked for my idle but I don't have problems with it anymore. My idle is fine. It starts high but then settles right back to normal after a couple of minutes. Then at lights and stop signs it doesn't dip or jump and it only goes up about 2 or hundred rpms when i turn the air on but it's only that high for as long as the fans are on and goes back down to about 900 or 1k after they shut off.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Plus it wouldn't hurt to do the cel fix so if something besides the emissions goes wrong you can know and not just shrug the light off thinking it's the header or whatever.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

I looked at the receipt for when I took the car in for the recall issue (Reflash), and it says something about "Cooling Recall - Replace Fan Controller".

Aright, I guess Ill get the CEL Fix.
Will it shut the CEL off for good? Cus when the chick at Auto Zone pulled my codes, I had her sht off the CEL, only to have it turn back on 3 minutes later into driving...

Last edited by CityKnight; Feb 21, 2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

i had the same problem your having with the jumpy idle. i know you can fix it by backing out the idle screw on the TB but its gonna make your accelerator feel sticky. Not worth it if you ask me. I know its my headers that are causing the idle cuz when i took em off it went back to normal. try cleaning your throttlebody out with one of those spray cleaners. That helped minez go away for a while. Now the only time it acts up is if its really humid. I dunno why though.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:04 PM

After I got mine reflashed it worked fine, then I put a SRI on and it did the idle jumping thing, and my car would die, it couldnt hold an idle for more than 20 seconds, I set my Idle up about 500 more and now it bounces between 1300-1500

Quick Reply: Idle thing Ive heard mentioned here before...