Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Car shakes at 75-80 MPH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judgedbyman your tires are still out of balance. End of story. Stop looking anywhere else. Take your car or just the wheels somewhere else. Or better yet rotate them at home for free and go for an 80mph spin and note the difference.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

I had some vibration one time after I rotated my wheels. I was cruising down a highway when I noticed it. Pulled over and don't know why but I checked the lug nuts. Apparantly I didn't torque them very well (real "DOH" moment). Just saying you might want to check that too, you know, cover all your bases.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires can cause vibration even if there is perfect mass balance in the wheel. Its called radial force variation in the tire. All tires act like springs, and over the entire surface various parts of the tire are stiffer than others. This often happens when radial plies overlap, etc. So when a stiffer part of the tire contacts the road, you get un upward force. At speed, the force excites the vehicle and causes vibration, usually around 25-35 Hz at ~70 mph. Some radial force variation is normal. It happens on all tires, OEM and aftermarket. However, some tires (especially aftermarket) can have higher radial force variation. Or, as tires degrade (hit a pothole, uneaven wear, etc) RFV can develop over time. Also, if you bend your rim(s), this can cause a similar effect.

Generally, if a car shakes at highway speed, and alighnment, brakes, and wheel balance is good, and your rims arent bent...its usually tire force variation. The only way to fix it is new tires.

Some people have also found that rotating wheels works too. This is becasue the vehicle may be less sensitive to shake depending upon the position of the problem wheel(s).

On a FWD car, I doubt its drivetrain imbalance, unless something happened to your halfshafts.

Last edited by Mercenary3; Aug 25, 2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

My first set of wheels I bent the hell out of them. It felt like I was driving on squares instead of circles
Old Aug 26, 2006, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mercenary3
Tires can cause vibration even if there is perfect mass balance in the wheel. Its called radial force variation in the tire. All tires act like springs, and over the entire surface various parts of the tire are stiffer than others. This often happens when radial plies overlap, etc. So when a stiffer part of the tire contacts the road, you get un upward force. At speed, the force excites the vehicle and causes vibration, usually around 25-35 Hz at ~70 mph. Some radial force variation is normal. It happens on all tires, OEM and aftermarket. However, some tires (especially aftermarket) can have higher radial force variation. Or, as tires degrade (hit a pothole, uneaven wear, etc) RFV can develop over time. Also, if you bend your rim(s), this can cause a similar effect.

Generally, if a car shakes at highway speed, and alighnment, brakes, and wheel balance is good, and your rims arent bent...its usually tire force variation. The only way to fix it is new tires.

Some people have also found that rotating wheels works too. This is becasue the vehicle may be less sensitive to shake depending upon the position of the problem wheel(s).

On a FWD car, I doubt its drivetrain imbalance, unless something happened to your halfshafts.
+1 I went thought the same thing the last 3 or 4 week before i got my rims and new tires. I would hit the highway and my car would shake like mad. Since I've put new tires I've had no shake what so ever, until two days ago my steering wheel has a lil shake now but I thinks a weights feel off which is wire but i'm looking in to it today. One more thing what is your air pressure like?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Mine seems to be better now but I can hear a noise from the tires. Its hard to explain that noise. The noise is dependent on how fast I drive. It get louder when I'm going faster and vice versa.

I get it when I'm turning right or going straight. Now when I'm turning left, the noise goes away.

I've bought new rims, new tires, had an alignment and got new coilovers.

then problem still exists. I've change rims and still the problem exist. I'm assuming suspension but all the suspension looks fine.

What else could it be
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

rdtech it sounds like you have a wheel bearing going bad. Is it a roaring sound?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by glgz
rdtech it sounds like you have a wheel bearing going bad. Is it a roaring sound?
Thats what I thought it might be. <-----but I was hoping it wouldn't

Can anyone one else confirm?

It does sound like it could be a roar. Who sells them cheap?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:53 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check wheel bearings.
Also check the rack & pinion and power steering.
Could also be the joints in the steering column.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xi
Check wheel bearings.
Also check the rack & pinion and power steering.
Could also be the joints in the steering column.
Its very hard to determine where its coming from. I'll have to get another guy in the car with me. He'll have to stick his head out at about 65-70mph to listen.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rdtech
Thats what I thought it might be. <-----but I was hoping it wouldn't

Can anyone one else confirm?

It does sound like it could be a roar. Who sells them cheap?
Here's an easy way to check.
It's easier with the wheels off the ground, but you can do it even if you don't jack up the car.

Grab the wheel(the wheel, not the stearing wheel) at 9 and 3 O'clock
Now, thug it. Push on the left while pulling the right, push on the right while pulling the left. If you have a sever wheel bearing problem, you'll now right away. You'll feel it, you'll hear it. You'll just know something is wrong.

I had the same sympthoms you're having. When I did the wheel test thingy I just described I was able to thug the wheel by approximatly 1/8 of an inch.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts....0%20L4~241452
Is the cheapest I found when I changed mine

Last edited by blaze_125; Jul 10, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
Here's an easy way to check.
It's easier with the wheels off the ground, but you can do it even if you don't jack up the car.

Grab the wheel(the wheel, not the stearing wheel) at 9 and 3 O'clock
Now, thug it. Push on the left while pulling the right, push on the right while pulling the left. If you have a sever wheel bearing problem, you'll now right away. You'll feel it, you'll hear it. You'll just know something is wrong.

I had the same sympthoms you're having. When I did the wheel test thingy I just described I was able to thug the wheel by approximatly 1/8 of an inch.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts....0%20L4~241452
Is the cheapest I found when I changed mine

Yest of course! This a good way to check the wheel bearing. I usually try to tilt it up/down and left/right to check for bearing play. I'll have to check mine tomorrow. BTW, thanks for the link!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

I was having a similar problem between 45mph-65mph my car would shake like hell , but 0-45 was good and 65-80 was good... I drove about 1000 miles or so like this witch is only a week or so of driving for me... All of a sudden wam at 70mph the rear tire completely shredded the tread seperated from the tire , it was quite exciting... Pulled over swapped the tire out and havent had any issues since... But during that whole week I was thinking wheel bearings , tie rod ends, alignment , balance, ect...
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by judgedbyman
my front end feels like it's going to shake off at about 65-75 mph, steering wheel shakes back and forth as well, but no bend in the rim. what up? i have extreme lancer lean to the driver's side in the front, could it be struts and springs? have already replaced the front lower control arms, front sway bar links, had tires rotated and alighned, and balanced twice till thery are now dead on, changed my plugs too. (thought maybe plugs causing vibration) still I 'm shaking like a branch in a hurricane. NEED HELP
Now if you have stock wheels this wont apply HOWEVER, I bought a set of 17s brand new for a civic I used to have and went to schwab for tires. They mounted and balanced them but GUESS WHAT??? The wheels were not perfectly round so NO MATTER WHAT I had shake from about 65 to 75mph, absolutely no way to tell by looking at them and schwab almost missed it too just my 2 cent
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Lol, i had flat spots on a set of tires after i slammed my brakes in my tempo and they were horrible. You could see mine though.