Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

got an issue? here's a tissue!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question got an issue? here's a tissue!

Mods:
Piggy, Intake, FPR, Testpipe, motor mounts

I have a CEL for running lean, RRM told me to ignore it, and it hasn't caused any issues.

I replaced the battery last week, and since then i have had a small issue.
Every so often, like 1/10, when i start my car, it starts up fine, revs normally, then the revs just go right back down and it dies.

At first i thought it might be the piggy re-learning cos everything got reset when i put in the new battery. But it has been a week now and the problem hasn't gone away.

i also turned the fuel pressure up a notch on the FPR, i thought maybe the problem was from running lean. But that hasn't seemed to help.
Although my car does sound a bit healthier since i've done that, so i may turn it up a little more.
I'm gonna hook up the laptop to the piggy tonight and snoop around some, see if i am actually running lean, or if the ECU is just stupid.

any ideas people?

Last edited by crypto; Aug 3, 2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:22 PM
Former Vendor

bump
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So occasionally, you'll start it up, it'll rev like normal, then die within like a few seconds? Sounds exactly like what my Civic was doing...I figured it was the ignitor in the diizy. So I replaced the entire unit. So I'm thinking it could be a coil pack...these seem to be tempramental and "go bad" easily. Did you replace your plugs recently?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:32 PM
Former Vendor

no, i haven't changed the plugs since i got the car. 20K miles ago. lol.
i was waiting till i put in my turbo to change them out
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

I had an issue similar after installing my 4g93 Intake mani... the car would jump to 5000 rpms and then just die suddenly. I'd have to feather the gas to keep it alive during the ECU learning mode. After that it was fine. Just be patient and see if it goes away like RRM said. Chances are the car is just relearning.

Try adjusting your idle also. You're car might just be dying because your idle is set too low.

Fox
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:49 PM
Former Vendor

well the rps don't really jump very high. like 1K when it turns over and then goes down to 500 to idle, or dies.

i know the CEL won't go away though, i have reset my car 4 times and the CEL always comes back.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by crypto
well the rps don't really jump very high. like 1K when it turns over and then goes down to 500 to idle, or dies.

i know the CEL won't go away though, i have reset my car 4 times and the CEL always comes back.
Our engines should idle at 700-750rpm. Either the idle is set to low or the ECU hasn't had a proper chance to learn its idle. After resetting the ECU you need to let your car idle long enough for the radiator fan to kick on and turn off. Usually about 20 minutes or so. Or adjust the idle set screw to kick up your idle.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 02:39 PM
Former Vendor

well i reset the ECU again and no help. I even replaced the plugs. So i guess it must be the coilpacks and/or ignition wires

anyone got a link where i can get new ones for cheap?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

who made the FPR? i had a A2 FPR and it did more harm than good.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=287192 View the last post, it's actually by atilla.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by atilla
who made the FPR? i had a A2 FPR and it did more harm than good.
i dunno, it is just a basic adjustable one, with no gauge. i'm getting a new fuel rail and replacing everything. But it hasn't caused any problems before.

This has only started happening since i put in the new battery

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=287192 View the last post, it's actually by atilla.

thanks mate
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:36 PM

My car does the same thing. Starts fine and then just a second later, dies. Only feathering the gas keeps it from dying. It only happens every great once in a while, like maybe once or twice a week. I don't have a CEL though, and car runs fine once its going, no dying a stop lights/signs or anything like that. No money to fix it so I've just been dealing with it.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

have you guys checked the codes anyway even though the MIL isn't on? the code may just be a pending code and it hasn't happened enough for the car to turn the light on.

i'd dump the FPR just in case. that A2 one i had was junk.

check ground cables... my friend had a huge issue with his cavalier and it was giving him some of the same kind of headaches. it turned out that his ground was shot and he just needed to stick a new ground wire on there.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by smalltown
My car does the same thing. Starts fine and then just a second later, dies. Only feathering the gas keeps it from dying. It only happens every great once in a while, like maybe once or twice a week. I don't have a CEL though, and car runs fine once its going, no dying a stop lights/signs or anything like that. No money to fix it so I've just been dealing with it.
that is the exact thing that is happening

Originally Posted by atilla
have you guys checked the codes anyway even though the MIL isn't on? the code may just be a pending code and it hasn't happened enough for the car to turn the light on.

i'd dump the FPR just in case. that A2 one i had was junk.

check ground cables... my friend had a huge issue with his cavalier and it was giving him some of the same kind of headaches. it turned out that his ground was shot and he just needed to stick a new ground wire on there.
i had the code checked when i very first installed the piggy, and it has came back every time i've reset everything, like 5 times now. It is for running lean on bank 2 and 3.

i am gonna get a new FPR when i install the turbo. Also i will check the ground wire
Old Aug 4, 2007, 09:10 PM
Former Vendor

ok important update. I figured out the pattern to this problem.

When the engine is cold, and hasn't been used in a while. eg. first thing in the morning, the car starts up fine. Because the engine revs higher on a cold start

The problem occurs when the engine is warm. Like mid-day, when i have drove it around already. And the revs are low on start up.

So hopefully that info helps in figuring this out.
I don't think it is related to the piggy learning, or the FPR, otherwise it would do it on every start up, not just warm starts.

Quick Reply: got an issue? here's a tissue!