Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Foggy altezza's? Here is what I did

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foggy altezza's? Here is what I did

Ok folks airlinevomitbag works hard so you dont have to. Got leakey lights? Here is what I did.

I had a really large gap on the sides of the lights next to the trunk lid. Get so of that round rubber that goes holds the screen in on a screen door and fill in the big gaps. Get yourself some GOOP Automotive cement, essentially real thick rubber cement, put it on your finger and trace all around the edge of the light. Let it dry for awhile.

Ok now you have rubber cement bubble mania all around the edges of the lens and it looks like pure hell from 4ft and closer. Now is where the magic begins.

As a temporary fix just to see how I liked it I used black electrical tape. Anyway you need to put a border around the lights about a 1/4" wide, the tape sticks very nice to the smooth lens but doesnt stick worth a damn on the back. Get your GOOP out and glue the backside down.

Light looks perfect from the front assuming you can tape straight and ghetto from the back, but who cares. It is leak free and looks perfect.

I know electrical tape is crap and I also know it is going to get messed up that is why it is temporary. My permanent solution is to mask off the lights and paint a black border to cover up the rubber cement bubbles.

I'll try and post pics of it tomorrow so you can see it isnt as ghetto as you may think. I fooled a couple people already they thought it was weather stripping.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

What do you guys think of just using some rubber cemnt or some silicone and bead it around the edge?
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Fat chance you can get it to stay on the edge, that was my original plan until the glue ran into the crack an 1/8" and made the edges look look like ****.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Did you ever think of returning them for good solid lights? Getting what you paid for!
Old Jul 25, 2003, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Got them secondhand but this seems to be a common issue with them all. Probably have better luck fixing yourself than shippping them back for new ones that will most likely leak too. If they leak why buy them? Cuz they look bad *** thats why.
Old May 20, 2004, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

How did you actually took the water out of your tail lights? I have water in mine, and is getting on my nerve trying to take all the water out....
Old May 20, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

I guess I should of checked the day on the post first....
Old May 20, 2004, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

To get the water out you are just going to have to let it evaporate I guess. If you stuck a blow dryer in there it would probably spot or leave residue and good luck getting that out. I have since refined my waterproofing technique. I got rid of the DEPO's and got some Ebay black ones. With these I used some of that plumbers/electricians putty that goes around pipes where they go through a wall to make it airtight. Just roll it out in a bead and press it in all the way around. It fills any gap and never dries out, been fog free for months. They initially fogged a couple time but I think it was because I had them in the basement for a week before they went on the car, basement has some humidity issues. Once it got on track with the weather it has been good.
Old May 20, 2004, 01:11 PM
jtc
Evolving Member

Thanks for this. Mine just started doing them today, for some reason, after months of use. Maybe the summer heat weakened the seal?
Old May 21, 2004, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

the avaporation of the condensation is taking forever... maybe is worth to go and spend 200 dollars more on lights...
Old May 29, 2004, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

lol go for it, hey if you dont need those lights ill take em off your hands free of charge, hey ill even pay the shipping