Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Loose steering column

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2003, 07:21 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loose steering column

Well, it turns out the dealership had to look deeper into why my steering wheel is shifting side-to-side, and after dropping it off for the day, they decided that it needs a new steering shaft. The part is on order and they expect to be able to install it next week. Anybody else experience this? The service rep said he's never heard of such a problem before. I'll let you guys know what happens next week (if it fixes the problem, if I have to fight for it to be covered under warranty, and if the problem persists if I have to claim it a lemon which I don't see it going that far)
Old Sep 13, 2003, 07:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, my problem isn't quite that, but I've had a constant steering problem since I bought my car in January. The car almost always drifts left. They've aligned it, changed parts, realigned it, etc. over and over to no avail. At this point I've kinda given up on it and try to deal with it, so I hope your service department is better than mine is. Good luck.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blacksheep same prob here!!! from new its drifted left i told em to sort it at 1500 km servcice they say that aligned and rotated but it stil odes it -- i am with you just dealing with it
mistu aftersales SUCKS!!! my odometer doesnt clock right either and they wont fix it.. all it means is i will sell my car in a year and never buy mitsubishi again!
Old Sep 13, 2003, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

3b strikes there out. Lemon law!!!
Old Sep 14, 2003, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I have not heard of that one Urban. The whole column needs replaced or the shaft within? I don't know how many miles your OZ has, but that type of failure is usually limited to much older cars that have been steered for decades, not a year or two.

Jason
Old Sep 14, 2003, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by fkrzo
3b strikes there out. Lemon law!!!
he's exactly right if they can't fix the problem after 3 tries you car is a lemon!
Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:02 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

yeah, although I'm hoping it won't happen 3 times. Maybe I'm bracing myself with the steering wheel while I autocross. I do plan on getting a seat that will hold me better, but that's way in the future.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 06:17 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

The part is in, and I have an appointment to drop it off Tuesday. They expect one day to do this.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 06:21 PM

I just had the same thing happen today.... My wheel moves most when I have it tilted all the way up... I am going to take the car to the dealership tomorrow. (Of course I go on my honeymoon on Monday) How convienient...
Old Oct 14, 2004, 01:34 AM

I know this is all late, but my problem is worse. My whole steering column collapsed while I was driving, and now I have a whole bunch of folded papers and wallets holding it up underneath. I went to the dealer and they told me that i needed a whole new column which was about $500 installed. They said its not covered under warranty, and I tried arguing with them that it was a factory defect because the car is a 2002 and this happens to cars that are way older. I have 79k miles but still! They dealer is not trying to work with me. What should I do?
Old Oct 14, 2004, 07:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It's covered under warranty. They're full of ****. Apply pressure, insist that you know you rights. Do not allow them to service the car out of warranty. They're getting paid either way, and there's NO reason the money should be coming out of your pocket.

You can always take it to another dealership and/or threaten legal action if reason does not work.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 01:43 PM

well my warranty expired at 60k miles...
Old Oct 14, 2004, 02:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Oh, then you're ****ed.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 04:42 PM

I have a 100,000 extended warrenty on mine. Two dealerships told me that the only way this can happen is that the car was in a collision. Well I should know when I am in an accident, right? The total cost me $680. (BTW: it isn't the dealership that isn't paying, it is Fidelity Warrenty Services)I am going to take them to small claims. My lawyer only is going to cost me $50. It still suck though. ?They also said that driving the car with the steering collapsed is extremely unsafe, be careful.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 04:45 PM

BTW, Delshay, which dealerships did you take it too? I live in Hampton, I see you are in VA Beach. I took mine to First Team, Greenbriar and Hall in NN. Maybe we can team up on them and say, "Look, you can tell me we both have the same problem and both say we haven't wrecked without covering something. Worth a try. What do you think Hobie?

Quick Reply: Loose steering column