Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

HID kit with relay harness, weird problems

Old Jul 6, 2009, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HID kit with relay harness, weird problems

Well, I've been working on this problem since two weeks ago and was hoping someone on here can help me out. I got this Hid conversion kit for my 03 ES, and long story short, after installing it, when i turn the lights on, it would just flicker and turn off in like in 1-2 sec. I figured maybe I needed a relay kit.

After connecting the relay harnesses on both ballasts, it worked perfectly, at least I thought so. As most of you know, the relay kit only connects to one of the OEM bulb plugs (plug A) to control on/off, which means I have only one of the two original plugs used. When I first connected and tested the relay kit, the other plug (plug B) still had the original 9007 halogen bulb on it. That test worked.

However after I fully installed everything and unplugged the OEM bulb from plug B (plug B now has no bulbs connected) both HIDs would not light up. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong. And by some strange coincidence I found that when I plug the original 9007 halogen bulb back on plug B, both HIDs work.

Now, I don't understand what is going on here, the relay kit (connected to plug A) needs the other bulb (connected to plug B) to work? Obviously I don't want a extra bulb shining in my engine bay, so what can I do? someone said maybe I can buy a resistor to fake it as the OEM bulb, but what kind of resistor would that be? what ohm? what watt? and how do I put it on? is it safe that way? because the last thing i want is problems with my only car. I really hope someone can help me, it is a really strange problem. Thanks in advance.

Note: the original OEM 9007 halogen bulb are 12V with 55W/65W

Last edited by oakley198877; Jul 6, 2009 at 08:42 PM.