Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Help with just bought Lancer 2003 Oz Rally

Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with just bought Lancer 2003 Oz Rally

ok so i just bought this Lancer oz rally 2003 and besides all the major body stuff im going to have to do to it in the future the major things are when shifting from first to second gear it grinds a bit but thats the only gear it grinds on, secondly it does make a funny humming? noise when in first or second gear the master air control sensor? well before i had it plugged in and the idle was wierd like idle high then low then high then low again really wierd, so i unplugged it now it doesnt really change idle that much but it idles at like 2 rpm's pretty high idle. so i need a new one of those im sure, any way to know if i need a new transmission? or maybe if i can just rebuild mine? or fix it somehow? i know im going to have to do something with the gear case because the second gear is grinding and my shifter needs to be replaced because the fool before me cut the shift stick in half and its all jacked up lol car rattles like crazy sometimes when in first/second gear or even idling like in the drive through, there is this really small like knocking? noise its really faint though, and it has oil in it so im not sure if its rocker arms or something else, so any hints tips or ideas are welcomed, by the way hello everyone my names dom and im new pretty much to mitsubishis or even mechanics all together but im going to learn one way or another heh.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:43 PM

oh also, im sure im going to have to do something with the whole brakes and wat not when i press brakes it makes like grinding sound? doesnt sound good, maybe needs bearings rotors, etc the whole nine yards.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:54 PM

so then if anyone has any ideas or knows mitsubishi brands or car models etc. eventually im going to basically rebuild this entire car piece by piece anyhow and im wanting to know what are my options for transmission? i want to keep trany manual and 5 gears or maybe 4 gears? but what can i put in or replace with my current stock transmission? and if i do change out the tranny with some other kind or wat ever what else is included that i have to do also? any information regarding this is helpful as the transmission is probably my first priority of attack then brakes tires etc. then main engine/air flow then body
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:51 PM

bumping
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like your synchros are worn out in the transmission. I haven't messed with any OZ lancers so I'm not sure where you would go to get it rebuilt or replace. For my Evo I have had a shep trans from sheptrans.com and I currently have a jacks transmission trans (jackstransmissions.com) you might be able to have one if them help you.

For your breaks it sounds like you ate gonna need pads and either resurface the rotors of get new ones.

Hope this helps.

Welcome by the way.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Lancer transmissions and engine blocks are not too far off what the Evo has...mitsubishi didn't re-invent the wheel with the evo, they just gave it 4 and made them turn faster ...

transmission, first thing you want to do is drop the fluid and replace it with new fluid, then drive is easy for like 2 weeks, and see how it feels...the other thing you want to do while you're letting the new fluid settle in, is adjust the clutch properly, get a copy of the service manual...if that all fails you're looking at a swap or rebuild, unlike the Evo guys we don't really have an option for aftermarket transmissions, so you're looking at a rebuild, used tranny swap, or brand new...rebuild is very extensive, basically you'll want to strip the input and output shafts, and replace all synchro rings and springs, and check hubs and sleeves for damage, if you find damage have a machinist fix them, or buy new ones, replace all bearings and oil seals and call it a day...this not that easy for the average joe, but is definately do-able, but you WILL need the service manual cause there's some procedures that if not followed will totally throw all the work you did out the window...
Old May 24, 2012, 01:10 AM

I'm running into trouble with my transmission as well,
I believe it is the synchros but have yet to really get into it. Will let you know if I find out anything useful.