Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Burning Smell

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Burning Smell

Has anyone else noticed a burning smell after a 10-20 minute drive on a freeway?

I started to notice this smell when the weather got colder and I've been driving with the windows up and the heat on. After driving on the freeway at an average of 60 - 70 mph for 15-20 minutes I come to a complete stop at the bottom of the exit and just about daily I can smell something funny (slight burning). It almost smells like burning clutch, but I never have this problem other then after freeway driving (no clutch use). The car has ~24000 miles now and am just starting to notice this smell.

When exiting the freeway, I do not use the engine to slow the car. The brakes are in good shape as of 3 weeks ago (last oil change/tune up). While drive and the heat is going, I cannot smell anything nor while I am city driving, stand still or not.

Any ideas? I have not talked to the dealer yet but plan on it soon. It will be very hard for me to recreate the smell because of the conditions it decides to present itself in.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Occasionally when on the interstate when I exit I smell something but just attribute it to the rotors. It usually happens if I use the brakes too much like my wife. Not sure what it is and really haven't been alarmed about it. Also thought it might be dust getting on the heat exchanger for the interior heater. Only once on an autox course between laps. My cabin started to smell like something burning and I got out to check and it was my front left rotor was smoking a little. I took a slow cooldown lap around the circle track nearby. All engine levels and temps seem to be fine. Just my guess though.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

engine levels and temps have been monitored as well and seem normal. I will take a closer look at the rotors next time I have the opportunity. Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

I have noticed the smell too every once in a while although I've never been sure where it comes from.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah we have a few posts in the RA forums about the burning smell.. alot of us notice it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ine-bay-3.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ing-smell.html

Last edited by Jyrk; Jan 11, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:19 PM

I had a problem starting November where a burning smell was present after I drove home from work.
I opened up my engine, and the smell was stronger, but I couldn't find the source of it.

I went to the dealership, and told them something was wrong.
The service guy said, "it's probably a plastic bag that got caught on your catalytic converter."
I replied, "really? That happens?"
"I've seen it happen a lot."

We hoisted the car up, and yup, I saw a melting layer of plastic on the catalytic converter...
I still get that smell now. In the spring, all the water on the ground should wash it away...
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

I've noticed a burning smell every once and a while, although I've always assumed it's just the car in front of me or something. Definitely doesn't happen to me on a regular basis, and I do a lot of driving on the freeway.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:26 PM

I had the smell too.. mitsu didn't do anything about it
Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:01 PM

So I came here because I have been noticing a burning smell on my Lancer GTS as well. I am wondering if it could be because I live on a hill that is pretty steep and I am going about 40 up a pretty big hill for a mile. I keep the RPMS around 2500 so its not like the car is working too terribly hard (i dont think?).

Anyway. The smell comes from the back of my car and is stronger if I open the trunk. I guess this could be the Cat on my car as well too. I only notice it after going up that hill, but I rarely drive long distances unless it is from work up that hill.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Any other thoughts?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:20 PM
Former Sponsor

i highly recommend inspecting the heatshields along the bottom of the car. sounds like something is not doing its job. that said, running that car at 2500RPM is light work unless your towing 5 other cars behind you.

you can how ever inspect to see if possibly your rad fan has failed as well. its unlikely but check anyway. ensure that its constantly going on and off when at a dead stop. especially after a highway drive.

that said its hard to guess what it could be.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
i highly recommend inspecting the heatshields along the bottom of the car. sounds like something is not doing its job. that said, running that car at 2500RPM is light work unless your towing 5 other cars behind you.

you can how ever inspect to see if possibly your rad fan has failed as well. its unlikely but check anyway. ensure that its constantly going on and off when at a dead stop. especially after a highway drive.

that said its hard to guess what it could be.
I must be a noob, where would the heat shields be under the car? I just had my 30k maintenance done at the stealership, but I'm assuming that means nothing