Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

FASTkey locked out... 08 GTS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASTkey locked out... 08 GTS

Twice this has happened now.

I go out in the morning to start my wife's car and scrape windows. This is the procedure I tested today.

Keys in pocket, auto-unlock driver's door
Open door, reach inside, start car
Roll down window, close door
Reach in through window, lock door, roll up window.

This leaves the car running with doors locked. I scrape her windows and go inside.

She has -her- set of keys in her purse. When she goes to get in, to doors won't unlock. She hits the unlock button on the keyfob, nothing. I get my set of keys and have the exact same behavior.

The only way I can get the doors to unlock is to take the physical key out of the keyfob and unlock the driver's door.

Anyone else experienced this? It's annoying as hell and "impossible" according to the mitsu tech I talked to.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah you cant unlock and lock your car with the fob while its running. pretty sure its been this way in the auto industry for years my 91 blazer which had a viper alarm was this way my 2001 bravada with oem fobs was this way, my 2004 trailblazer is this way, my 08 lancer, my 09 lancer gts and even my aftermarket autopager alarm is this way.

i bought a house about 5 months ago that had no garage door openers so i have to open the garage door, start the car, back out, close the car doorwhile cars running, lock the car manually, close the garage door from the inside, go through the house, set the alarm, come back out and unlock manually and drive off to work.

luckily i picked up a slightly used garage door opener setup last night off craigslist

best bet is to just use the key to lock/unlock the doors. unless someone knows how to change the programming or a mod/hack to allow this.

Last edited by lancer0220; Jan 12, 2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:27 AM

I was wondering if anyone has a remote starter with the same problem. Remotely starting your car does not cause the doors to lock you out does it? It makes some sense that you wouldn't be able to unlock the car if it is on, but if you remote start you aren't meant to be in the car.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

I thought if you have the fast key, you can't take the car out of park, unless the key is in the car. Forgive my ignorance but I haven't tried this yet with my car, but I thought that was the point. If it is the case, why bother locking your doors?? Unless you have anything in your car worth stealing, nothing is going to happen...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

People with evos and turbo timers have the same issues with the FAST Key. The turbo timer lets the car run for x amount of time to let the turbo cool off, in which case you'd want to get out of the car and Lock it, but have issues lock/unlocking it while its running. Maybe check over there in the evox boards to see if someone came around with a solution?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by RTW EVO
I thought if you have the fast key, you can't take the car out of park, unless the key is in the car. Forgive my ignorance but I haven't tried this yet with my car, but I thought that was the point. If it is the case, why bother locking your doors?? Unless you have anything in your car worth stealing, nothing is going to happen...
It comes out of park without the keys in it....and it can be driven alllll the way across town without the keys. As long as you don't turn off the ignition, it's fair game.

*cough* my wife has done it -twice- now *cough*