Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2008 Lancer - Keyless Entry?

Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Lancer - Keyless Entry?

Hi guys,

My sister owns a 2008 Lancer. I don't know the trim as it doesn't have any visible badges. It does have power windows / locks, and comes with the factory navigation system / Sub.

My question is on the keyless entry. When she got it from CarMax, they said "They didn't think it came with it". I can't imagine the car would come standard with the navi yet make the keyless entry optional. How can I confirm it has it? Do I have to go to Mitsu, or is there something I can look up or check?

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:58 AM

Might show up in a VIN decoder.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

from what i remember, the KOS system came with the sun and sound, so if you have a sun roof, you should have the key that you dont need to put into the ignition. Otherwise, i believe the normal key with the keyless buttons on it is standard, but i could be mistaken.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 07:28 PM

i hope these helps!

FAST-Key Entry
All 2008 Lancer models come standard with an anti-theft engine immobilizer. The ES and GTS models also feature a standard keyless remote entry system, and both offer the FAST-Key system. FAST Key allows the driver to unlock the vehicle simply by having the remote in a pocket or purse and grasping the handle on either of the front doors. FAST-Key provides both convenience and security, since the driver does not need to search for a key or remote control while carrying packages, or when in a poorly lit area, for example. The system operates when the driver (carrying the remote unit) is within 27 inches of the front doors or the trunk. While walking into that range, the system verifies the user i.d. Bioelectrical sensors are built into the door handles, and when the person carrying the remote grasps one of the handles, the door unlocks. Grasping the driver's door handled unlocks only that door; grasping the front passenger door handle will unlock all four doors. (The customer can set system preferences so that grasping the driver's door handle will unlock all vehicle doors.)

With FAST Key, instead using a key to start the engine, the driver simply presses the ignition knob on the steering column to release the lock, and then twists it to start the engine. Turning the knob rearward turns off the engine. The FAST Key system comes with two remote units, and up to four can be registered and programmed for the system. Each remote houses an emergency key that can unlock and start the vehicle if the unit's battery runs down.
To get the fast key option you have to get the sound and sound package which is another $2000.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 07:21 AM

Hallo guys,

I have a problem here with the fast key. It was doing well but suddenly it stopped opening and starting the car. When I try to close the fast key into the car, the car starts to beebs and the drivers door doesn't lock. When i try to lock the car on the remote, nothing happens. I have to lock it manually. I've replaced the batteries but same thing happens. Can sombody help me with this problem please!!!
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wincho32
Hallo guys,

I have a problem here with the fast key. It was doing well but suddenly it stopped opening and starting the car. When I try to close the fast key into the car, the car starts to beebs and the drivers door doesn't lock. When i try to lock the car on the remote, nothing happens. I have to lock it manually. I've replaced the batteries but same thing happens. Can sombody help me with this problem please!!!
The car will not lock with the key inside it. So the button on the FOB doesn't work? Does the button on the door handles work?

You need to provide more clear and concise information in order to provide you with more help.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FredJ - The FastKey isn't standard on the Sun and Sound package. From my understanding it comes standard with the navi package. I have an 08 GTS with SS, but I do not have the FastKey system
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:51 PM

The button on the FOB does work and as I press those buttons, the little red light on the FOB lit. It also flash 2 times when I press the button on the door handles.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

If the buttons on the key dont lock or unlock the door, the FOB is dead. You still should be able to use the proximity part when you get close to the car, and the car should start too. Bring it back to the dealer for a new key under warranty.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

I had the same issue, the FOB buttons would not work, but the proximity (door) sensor buttons would, after two days of trying new FOB's and programming, the put in a new Key FOB ECU and it was fixed.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:01 PM

Oh ok, thanks for your advise buddy, but my problem is that I bought the car on the internet in USA. I live all the way in Curacao here in the caribean. Beside that I only got one fast key with his emergency key when this car has arrived here. Now I would like to know whats the kosts of two new blank or programmed fast keys with their emergency key and how can I get them. When this problem first started, I started to think about buying new keys, but I didn't want it to happend. But now I don'ty have no other choice I see!

Last edited by Wincho32; Jul 13, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

replacement key fobs are about $250-$300. Then there is a reprogramming fee if you are not under warranty. Wanting two keys air mailed to you i would guess around $750...but i doubt they would air mail it to you personally, you would have to go through a dealer.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kalpakiotis
replacement key fobs are about $250-$300. Then there is a reprogramming fee if you are not under warranty. Wanting two keys air mailed to you i would guess around $750...but i doubt they would air mail it to you personally, you would have to go through a dealer.
And then it might not be the FOB's itself. You may need to replace the ECU... that will run you another 1000$ (est.) plus programming, ect. Not an easy one to figure out yourself. You need the MUT III program and the service manual....plus knowledge of electronics in vehicles...

Sorry, but good luck.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 06:09 PM

the F.A.S.T. key is not standard its an option you can pick when you buy the car along with the sound system, the ground effects, and the HID which is the SSS package
Old Oct 5, 2014, 06:26 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
What the deuce? Epic bump.