Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Weird acceleration/transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird acceleration/transmission issue

So I drive a 2009 GTS and have on 3 or 4 occassions run into this - when I'm stopped and step on the gas to start moving forward again, the car feels like it's running on 1 or 2 cylinders. It doesn't stall - it just crawls and takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds to snap out of it. This has happened both when driving in normal "automatic" and when manually shifting. A couple of times it was kind of scary because I was making a left turn and moving into traffic. Instead, I had to put my hazards on and crawl towards the side of the road and wait the few seconds for it to work properly again.

It hadn't happened for a while, but this weekend I had to park my car in the grass for a wedding. It rained overnight and a bunch of cars were getting stuck going up a hill. I made it up, but I had to once again really push the gas to make it up the hill (tires are nearly bald because they're the POS stock Dunlops). After I made it up, it again felt like it was running on 2 cylinders and could barely move. The speedometer wasn't even budging (like it was stuck at 0 even though I was probably getting up to 7 or 8mph). This time, the problem didn't just go away. I shut the car off, waited 10 minutes and started it again. Then I had to switch it back and forth from Automatic to Manual mode for it to "reset" the problem.

Anyone ever hear of this? I'm bringing it to the dealer, like I should have months ago when i first experienced it, but I wanted to know if someone else knew what it was so I can maybe explain it to them a little more properly.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

never heard of it. dealership
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Also never heard of this. Maybe the drivetrain isnt engaging properly?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:01 AM

Definitely a possibility. The only other thing I can think of would be maybe Traction Control? Maybe it's overly sensitive? My old car would momentarily cut off power to the front wheel drive if my tires spun too much.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 02:58 PM

I had this problem with a Mazda I had before I bought my Lancer. I took the Mazda in over and over again and none of the mechanics could figure anything out. They would tell me "it's a 4 cylinder" Sorry but 4 cylinders are not that damn slow. I never got the problem fixed so I got rid of the car
Old Oct 9, 2010, 09:03 PM

just the transmission. i have this problem occassionally. the deal with our transmissions is that they try to learn our methods but never do. they fight against us. thats just my 2 cents. im going to change my cvt fluid to see if that might help as well xD
Old Oct 10, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

haha good 'ol automatic tranny, eh??
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NERO_NOVA
just the transmission. i have this problem occassionally. the deal with our transmissions is that they try to learn our methods but never do. they fight against us. thats just my 2 cents. im going to change my cvt fluid to see if that might help as well xD
lol true, some days i feel like im driving a 50hp car, and then on some other days and in cooler weather its real smooth and responsive
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:41 AM

I had this happen a week or so ago.... scared the crap outta me, I was pulling out of a carwash and the street was wet. Front tires were spun for a second and then I felt like the trans was slipping. I immediately pulled into Menards parking lot and left it there for 20 minutes while I browsed the store. Everything seems ok again... changing CVT fluid today just to make sure it still looks clean
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:52 AM

i had that problem with my old honda, as it turned out it was my TPS. went to the local wreckers, took a decent looking one out of another honda, and viola
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:02 PM

Sounds like a transmission issue to me. Make a trip to a dealership and see if they can diagnose it.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 08:49 PM

does the car seem to sound like their's a hole in the exhaust or you have an CAI?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
does the car seem to sound like their's a hole in the exhaust or you have an CAI?
Yes, mine just started to make a noise like that, I also now have a slight rattle and clunking sound coming from the front passenger side of the engine bay. This is on top of the crunchy front suspension and I only have 38,000 miles.