Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Accessory fuse replaced, parking lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessory fuse replaced, parking lights stay on

Hello, I just bought a 2002 Lancer LS (or ES). There was no power when the key was in the accessory position. I found one of the two fuses in the yellow casing located in the engine compartment fuse box blown (the fuse closest to the fire wall). I assume it is the accessory fuse because I now have power with the ignition switch in the accessory position. The problem is when I put the fuse in the front and rear parking lights came on and won't go off. I took the fuse back out so I don't drain the battery. There is an after market radio. I see a big red wire that goes through the fire wall in the engine compartment that has been cut (car alarm maybe?). The interior dome light does not have a wire going to it, at least what I can tell by sticking my hand through the ceiling cover hole. So, the previous owner has messed with the electrical system. Any idea how I can trouble shoot to get those parking lights to go off when I plug in the accessory fuse? Thanks for your help! I bought this car for my son and I am embarassed I didn't check it more thoroughly.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dmik
Hello, I just bought a 2002 Lancer LS (or ES). There was no power when the key was in the accessory position. I found one of the two fuses in the yellow casing located in the engine compartment fuse box blown (the fuse closest to the fire wall). I assume it is the accessory fuse because I now have power with the ignition switch in the accessory position. The problem is when I put the fuse in the front and rear parking lights came on and won't go off. I took the fuse back out so I don't drain the battery. There is an after market radio. I see a big red wire that goes through the fire wall in the engine compartment that has been cut (car alarm maybe?). The interior dome light does not have a wire going to it, at least what I can tell by sticking my hand through the ceiling cover hole. So, the previous owner has messed with the electrical system. Any idea how I can trouble shoot to get those parking lights to go off when I plug in the accessory fuse? Thanks for your help! I bought this car for my son and I am embarassed I didn't check it more thoroughly.
Big red wires are usually for Amplifiers for stereos, alarm systems like to use lots of drab color that doesn't draw attention.

you are turning the knob on the steering wheel to the off position, and the lights stay on? If you have the headlights on, the car running, then shut the engine off, and open the door, do the headlights stay on and the parking lights? Would you post a picture of the parking lights? They may be addon fog lights, and the previous owner stuck a switch somewhere to turn them on/off instead of wiring them in to the cars original factory switch. Look up under the dash, see if there is any "custom wiring" that looks like it was done by a kid. Wires wrapped around things instead of being taped, butt connectors instead of OEM wiring harnesses, etc....any rocker switches around the drivers area?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 06:18 PM

I'm having. This same problem fuse blew lost radio but parking lights front and back all if a sudden came on and won't shut off replaced fuse with 20A instead of 15A and now my radio came back on but still didn't fix the lights witch deff happens when the fuse blew any idea plz and thank u
Old Jun 27, 2016, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
never use a fuse rated higher than what is supposed to be there...you WILL fry something...do the license plate lights stay on as well?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
never use a fuse rated higher than what is supposed to be there...you WILL fry something...do the license plate lights stay on as well?
OK I will make sure to take the fuse out right now then and yes the stay on as well
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

and tail lights too probably...did you change your tail lights or do any mods to the lighting system? If not, it seems to me that the tail light relay inside the front ECU is stuck closed, or the coil is shorted...I would grab one from a junk yard and try swapping it...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jun 27, 2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:55 PM

and tail lights too probably...did you change your tail lights or do any mods to the lighting system? If not, it seems to me that the tail light relay inside the front ECU is stuck closed, or the coil is shorted...I would grab one from a junk yard and try swapping it...
Ya the tail lights to but it's only like half of the light on the tail lights seems like maybe the park lights or the DRL in the rear but I went and bought a new 10A fuse put it in and now my dash light and door chime came back but didn't fix the light problem and the only mods I did to the tail lights (witch are the only lights I did mods to) was put LED bulbs in the tails that's it and that was a few weeks ago and like I said before this issue wasn't happen until I Popped the fuse messing with my amp. So I have to replace the ECU is what u think and thats the big Green colored box that's inside the fuse compartment under the hood
Old Jun 28, 2016, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Preston420
the big Green colored box that's inside the fuse compartment under the hood
yes, exactly...don't try to get it at Mitsubishi, or from a parts store, it's super expensive...junkyard is your best bet...

also disconnect your battery any time you're working on electrical and don't piggyback existing circuits...run a new fused line from the battery for any additional circuits...
Old Jul 16, 2016, 09:02 PM

yes, exactly...don't try to get it at Mitsubishi, or from a parts store, it's super expensive...junkyard is your best bet...

also disconnect your battery any time you're working on electrical and don't piggyback existing circuits...run a new fused line from the battery for any additional circuits...
So i finally had a chance to go get a new used matchin front ECU abd still nothing my DRL and plate lights are still stuck on any ideas
Old Jul 18, 2016, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm...it's a short of some kind...could be the wiring, or could be the ignition switch itself, I'd have to look over the wiring diagrams, but I'm at my cottage and do not have access to a computer...either way the lights are getting power when they shouldn't....
Old Jul 18, 2016, 02:25 PM

Hmm...it's a short of some kind...could be the wiring, or could be the ignition switch itself, I'd have to look over the wiring diagrams, but I'm at my cottage and do not have access to a computer...either way the lights are getting power when they shouldn't....
Well when u get back home and have a sec that would be fantastic if u cld help me out and i relized ladt night i took one of the fuses out in the yellow box and the lights shut off when the car does but everything gets rest when u shut the car off like the clock and tripdomiter and the radio and even better plate lighta and radio only come on when i turn the lights on lol
Old Jul 22, 2016, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure what you mean...could you be more clear in your post?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 09:12 PM

Hi All, not sure if this was ever resolved but I had the same issue. I just picked up an 03 OZ and most of the accessories didn't work, along with the parking lights staying on constantly after keys are out of ignition and the lights turned to off. After doing some searching, the prior person tried to install a system into the car, which left behind the aftermarket connector behind the radio, exposed wiring in the main harness, Honda stock speakers installed into the front and rear speakers with horrible connections, fuses in wrong places along with not having any in some spots. I was able to get all the fuses correctly placed where they needed to be for my M/T OZ, removed all the horrible speakers and replaced them with Kenwoods, patched and taped up all the exposed wiring, and voila! The radio works again, the lights no longer stay on, the clock works, the ding when the key is in the ignition works. I hope that helps. I would definitely check and see if they replaced the speakers and see how the wiring was done, and if there are any exposed wiring in the main radio harness.