Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Charged my A/C and engine is being choked??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charged my A/C and engine is being choked??

Sorry if this has been covered but a search from my phone while in class didn't pull it up. :P LoL

When I picked up my '04 OZ rally it didn't have A/C. I figure the car was sitting about a year or two - the compressor very well could have seized in that time. When I charged it (on the line with the 'L' on the blue cap) the engine started to bog and was getting choked out as soon as I got near 30lbs. So I drained it back to around 21 lbs. I took the car down the highway hoping the compressor would grease itself back up - sure enough I had cold blowing air in a few seconds.

But if I crank my A/C my rpm's drop and I can feel the power drop - at virtually any speed.

I had a friend with his gas ticket (I'm from Canada we can't get Freon off the shelf) charge my car - he had all the gauges and figures it should sit at 30lbs.

Could it be that my compressor is failing?

Did I charge it to the right pressure? And use the right line? I figure I did b/c I now have freezing a/c lol.

Any info would be great. Thanks in advanced

Prez
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:19 PM

If you put too much pressure in the compressor will automatically shut itself off. Doing this makes it seem like there is a huge problem, it makes the car run and sound horrible. The off the shelf freon tanks are a quick fix and I personally find them less effective than a shop. Most shops (in my area) will charge A/C for around $100.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by prezdead

But if I crank my A/C my rpm's drop and I can feel the power drop - at virtually any speed.

Prez
I as well have the same problem. I have been told many different things as what it can be, but there is no definite reason. Also, when the power drops, does it make a clunking noise, and you can feel it in the gas pedal?
Also, I find that my a/c will be ice cold, then the clutch will kick, and it'll be kind of cold.
If anyone has any idea, that'd be great.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will always feel a drop in power with the ac on---- is it surging or pulsing or idling rough--these in my experience are indications that its over filled-- I was having cooling problems and recently recharged my system--has some very minor surging and compressor kicked on and off and it would pulse a little at light throttle-- released pressure and no more issues and its very cold--same with a honda I had way back when, filled it up idled like crap dropped the pressure and it just blew cold with no issues--If its cold at 21 psi go with it.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have recharged several of my cars myself along with countless others with off the shelf freon. Never have had an issue with the performance of the freon (cooling the air) or compressor issues. From what I can gather should be between 28.4-32.1 pounds when referencing the Low pressure side. meckert is correct every a/c system takes away a few ponies in order to operate. Its very possible since there was a leak that the pump could have dried out and semi- seized on you.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:17 AM

This is the EXACT description of the problem. My system is charged to 30 psi exactly using professional gauges and actual 134A (no cheap ****). My car did sit for about a year so I suspect the compressor was seized/semi-siezed. But at the same time - if the compressor wasn't working there would be no cold air.

I will be attempting to oil up my compressor but I doubt that will help. I'm amazed no one can trace the problem. Grrrr

Originally Posted by tkania07
I as well have the same problem. I have been told many different things as what it can be, but there is no definite reason. Also, when the power drops, does it make a clunking noise, and you can feel it in the gas pedal?
Also, I find that my a/c will be ice cold, then the clutch will kick, and it'll be kind of cold.
If anyone has any idea, that'd be great.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:20 AM

Just to add - this is no minor kick. My rpms hit below 300. Yes, 300 that's no typo. It literally bucks and 'knocks'. Its retarded I'll film it next time and upload to youtube.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by prezdead
Just to add - this is no minor kick. My rpms hit below 300. Yes, 300 that's no typo. It literally bucks and 'knocks'. Its retarded I'll film it next time and upload to youtube.
I was just going to add that I had forgot my RPM's definitely drop more than they should. My car almost dies as it is idling with the a/c running.
Also, my car was overfilled with the freon, but we let some of it out, and it's still doing the same thing. I figured that because it hadn't been greased in a while, I'd give it a couple weeks with the rough idling and the bogginess. Because having it overfilled is just as bad as not having any, I realize it could have seized the pump.
That was one of the answers that I was given, that the a/c pump was either bad or the bearings needed rebuilt.
Does this sound right?? Either way, I know it's not running right, and I'm just trying to troubleshoot to get it fixed. In this heat, the a/c is great when it wants to run ice cold, but when it decides to just run cool, it feels nothing more than just a fan blowing.
Also, while idling, my belt squeals more than it should, and a lot louder. I just replaced the belt maybe 3,000 miles ago when I changed my alternator.

Last edited by tkania07; Aug 3, 2011 at 06:09 PM.