Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Code p0241 and p0240 question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Code p0241 and p0240 question

The car was started, driven down the street about 2/3 of a block, then it started to lose power and eventually stalled. Through a cel.

The dealership says that this is caused by water in the air filter box. I looked it up and it has to do cat, o2, etc. I can guarantee 9999999% that from the tip of the intake scoop to the engine block, there was no water at all. In case you guys want to ask how I'm sure about the water...don't ask. LOL

They said it was documented in the service bulletins, which I found nothing about water, and said that the problem was "fixed". That said that it's caused by the hole in the air intake that drains the water that gets into the intake, being plugged.

Could this be also caused by a bad airflow sensor located right after the filter?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pcguru2000
The car was started, driven down the street about 2/3 of a block, then it started to lose power and eventually stalled. Through a cel.

The dealership says that this is caused by water in the air filter box. I looked it up and it has to do cat, o2, etc. I can guarantee 9999999% that from the tip of the intake scoop to the engine block, there was no water at all. In case you guys want to ask how I'm sure about the water...don't ask. LOL

They said it was documented in the service bulletins, which I found nothing about water, and said that the problem was "fixed". That said that it's caused by the hole in the air intake that drains the water that gets into the intake, being plugged.

Could this be also caused by a bad airflow sensor located right after the filter?
Sounds like a pretty weak sauce explanation but if they said it is fixed. I think if the problem comes back, then you know where to go and who to talk to. I would go to another dealership and ask to speak to the service manager there and have them explain it to you just to verify. I have never heard of water getting into the intake from under the box. There simply isnt enough pressure to cause water in there.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
water would definitely make your car run bad and stall. i had an evo hood on my car with the vents open to let the hot air out and when i was at work it rained really hard and my cone filter was positioned by the header and got soaked. it barely ran and almost stalled. people that have a cone filter low on their car without a bipass valve and go thru a deep puddle usually hydrolock their motor and it won't run at all. however, i have never heard of any water issues like this happening to an enclosed stock filter case. the only way i could see it being possible is if someone dumped water in it, car was in a flood, or hood was up and lid was off during a rain storm. there just isn't enough humidity to cause that much moisture in a filter case to cause any problems
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

So the dealership says that I was looking up the wrong code even though they repeated it and I wrote it down. They said the code was p1241 and p1240. Does this change anything? Am I being B.S.ed?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
p1240- means ignition angle and p1241 means torque monitor. i would recommend getting an ob2 scanner so next time you are tripping codes you can get better help without going to the garage. i got one off of ebay for 75 bucks and it was the best 75 bucks i spent