Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

post all STRANGE NOISE complaints here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 07:03 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
post all STRANGE NOISE complaints here

Ok, so since every single week I see a new squeak/rattle/strange noise thread, I'm starting a sticky thread for each. Since most of them are almost impossible to locate, this should consolidate the possibilities and help you guys compare. As for my car, I have all 3 and stopped looking for most of them. It's called a $15k econobox on stiff suspension that gets driven hard. C'est la vie!
Old May 30, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well just tonight i heard a sort of soft rubing noise i cant explain it, i heard it while driving through the parking lot at about 10mph i think and i heard it when i was pasing by cars and i didnt hear it any other time, im guessing its something to do with the wheels but am not sure, whats a good way to find out???? and does anyone have any idea what it can be???
Old Jun 28, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

I cannot remember when this noise started, but I know it was after I installed my AEM CAI. I'm not saying that I think it's the intake because I don't think it's the intake. When I'm driving the intake does what it's suppose to do.

Just everytime I turn off the engine, there is a noise like something is grinding against something else. Not while the car is idling or while I'm moving, just when I stop the engine.

Yeah, real vague I know. I've listened to it for about 2 - 3 months and cannot determine what it is. From driving the car everywhere I go I haven't noticed any difference in performance. How many internal engine parts are always moving while the car is not in motion? I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities before I take it in to a mechanic. I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to engines, so hopefully I can gain some insight, and perhaps some education. I've learned so much about the car I drive everyday just by browsing EvoM!

I will try to get a recording for you, so you can hear what it sounds like.

Thanks in advance!

-Dan
Old Jun 28, 2004, 08:43 PM

You know I just noticed today, the exact same thing that discreet303oz described. As soon as I turn off the engine and all the internals in the engine stop doing what they are doing I hear a noise that I also would describe as "grinding". The engine runs perfectly and there are no other issues that would indicate a problem. The only current mod I have attachted to the engine at the moment is my AEM CAI. Any ideas as to what this could be?

K
Old Jun 28, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

most likely you are just hearing your pistons rubbing up against the walls and having the friction stop the engine... normal noise I would suppose.. you wouldnt hear it if you had your intake box back on!
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

Whew, I thought I was the only one with a grinding noise. I'm not too worried that it's harming the engine in any way, because the car runs great!

It just sounds so horrible, like everytime I turn off the engine, it only sounds like it's doing harm. Sometimes it's worse than others too, like it will be worse if I don't let the car idle for a minute before shutting it off. It sounds the worse if I have to pull the car in the garage after it's been sitting outside all day. You know, the high idle warm up the Lancer does, if I turn it off in the middle of that, ewww.

I will for sure get a recording now so that way Kerensky, you can tell me if it's the same sound you're hearing.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

i have no other noise besides that grinding noise your talking about. mine does that when i turn off the engine. i think its the intake
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. That seems like a decent enough explanation for me. It would make sense considering noise would better travel through a huge hollow pipe such as the CAI, and not as easily through the stock air box.

K
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

have you guys ever tried to talk softly through a pipe and at the other end whatever u say comes out oud and clear???? same concept. when you shut down ur engine some parts still move after the fan shuts down, so the noise resinates through the intake. its perfectly normal.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 09:54 AM

that clicking noise is still coming out of my front end. Happens once in a while, i'm thinking it's the fan ..whenever the car is in gear and hits about 3000RPM, you here this clicking noise as if soemthing is being whipped against something...on every gear...and when teh car is in neutral or when i have teh clutch applied and step on the gas past 3000RPM, there's no noise.. anyone else have this issue? It's been there for quite a while..i'm thinking its' ither the wheel/tires...or a fan is hitting something... and again, dealership won't do anything about it..which pisses me off..
Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by discreet303oz
Just everytime I turn off the engine, there is a noise like something is grinding against something else. Not while the car is idling or while I'm moving, just when I stop the engine.
I've experienced this same noise for the past several months, but don't remember my car always doing it. Strange, but I've since dismissed it as something normal and now layed to rest by reasonable explainations in this thread.
Old Aug 7, 2004, 02:57 PM

It's a normal noise, I have an Injen CAI, I noticed the noise too right when I shut off my car the first few times, freaked me out too, but like the guy said up top, its like talking through a tube, normal
Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:55 PM

I think the nosie started when i bought a RRM Throttle Body, when I took the other one out and put the new one in everything went together great. The only thing that i had to fix was the two screws that you have to use an alen wrench on. Becuase when i started my car it was idleing at 4000RPM's, so i went and turned it down to normal setting. Then a few weeks later after about 5 min of turning off my car i hear this noise coming from the throttle body. It sounds like something clicking back and forth. I took it apart again and looked at it. I notice theres a magnet in the sensors. I think after my car is off it clicks back and forth. Is this clicking normal?
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:59 PM

hello please help well i got new brake pads like 6 months ago they wee lifetime garuntee, anyways all the sudden when i press on the break it sounds like im dragging something under my car it only makes the noise when i press on the brake there is nothing dragging under my car but thats what it sounds like someone please help
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:50 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by satanracing
hello please help well i got new brake pads like 6 months ago they wee lifetime garuntee, anyways all the sudden when i press on the break it sounds like im dragging something under my car it only makes the noise when i press on the brake there is nothing dragging under my car but thats what it sounds like someone please help
I have some unfortunate news for you. Those lifetime pads last a lifetime because they are basically rocks. They will always make a grinding type noise while stopping. Another unfortunate fact is that grinding noise is the rock hard pads chewing away your rotors. You can try sanding the pads down a little to make the noise quieter, but I recommend you just living with the noise until your rotors die, then replace both the pads and rotors (something other than the lifetime rocks)

Quick Reply: post all STRANGE NOISE complaints here