Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

How to replace radiator?

Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to replace radiator?

Well I drove from mi to Wisconsin and the hood started smoking real bad so I stopped on the side of the road and open the hood. Did a quick visual inspection and saw coolant just everywhere. Drove to the nearest gas station and put a whole bottle of antifreeze in it and drove to the motel across the street. When I got there I saw coolant just everywhere and looks like the radiator is leaking badly. Luckily my aunts place is 10 mins away so I'm gonna just put another bottle in and drive there in the morning and run to autozone and buy a new radiator and try to see if that fixes the problem. I try searching the site for a guide on placing the radiator but no luck. Can anyone please give me step by step guide on how to replace and how long it should take. Help is appreciated very much! Also anything to look out for when replacing it.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Its not that hard really and its pretty self explanitory. But being a Michigan guy I'll give ya some help.

Drain the rad

Unbolt the 2 12mm bolts that hold the rad down to the car.

Undo the hoses for the upper and lower part of the rad.

Pull it out and reverse.

Make sure when you refill up the rad that it has plenty of coolant in it or you will get air bubbles and the car will heat up on ya.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:58 PM

Thanks a lot I'll try to tackle this in the morning, how many gallons of coolant you think I need?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:00 PM

There should be a plug or bolt somewhere under the rad that drains the coolant out rite?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Yeah there is a little valve on the bottom somewhere. I would get a gallon or 2. Important thing is to just make sure there is no bubbles in the system or it will have issues. Just remember the motor will retain alot of coolant. Like I said its really not that hard. Just make sure you have all the right stuff and don't force anythign being the bolts that hold the rad plates on the rad will break.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Sep 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM.