Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2003 LANCER OZ help!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 LANCER OZ help!!

Just got a Lancer that don't run, figured it'd be a decent Dd if I could fix it. The person said the ecu needs reprogrammed and said she replaced the old one with a new from Mitsubishi dealer and it still won't run. My question is if you buy a new one does it come with a base tune or is it blank. I think it is blank personally but was wondering if anyone knew for sure. Any input is appreciated thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:08 PM

Thanks everyone for not posting on my question. Apparently no one wants to help out the noon. Oh well, I have better things to do with my time than wait on I.put from jerks. Screw this forum!!!!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow princess one day with no help and your done? Poor baby, I think you need to learn a little thing called respect and patience. The ecu will not come blank from a dealer it will have the same stock tune as the rest of the lancers so IF she wasnt lying to you about the ecu and did in fact put a new one in then there is another issue. The problem probably lies in the igniton (spark) somewhere along the line if it wont fire at all, unless the engine is just shot.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

You have paperwork from the dealership showing proof they checked and replaced the ecu?
What symptoms show it not being able to start? Clicking when turning key? Starter engages but keeps cranking without startup? Backfiring while cranking? No response from starter? Did you check ecu id number to verify it is indeed the right ecu? Verify fuel pressure via fuel inlet at fuel rail? Check plugs for wetness/fuel smell?
What im trying to get at here is there are a lot of things that you failed to tell us in your initial post. There are a lot of people on the forums that can and WILL help you. Dont be insulted if you don't receive a reply to your post within a day, not all of us check every single sub forum in the lancer section every day.
So im sorry if you have better use for your time rather than showing some respect for the long time and not to mention knowledgeable users of this forum. Good luck finding the solution for your problem with your EXCELLENT attitude and have a nice day. Rant over...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Meh this guy will get far in life..... not.

Originally Posted by 04bls84
Thanks everyone for not posting on my question. Apparently no one wants to help out the noon. Oh well, I have better things to do with my time than wait on I.put from jerks. Screw this forum!!!!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

he's gonna get as far as the car...err wait, the car might get a little farther!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:28 PM

Sorry for losing my temper everyone, just really tired of getting screwed over on forums and kinda need the car in a hurry. Anyway, the cars throwing codes P0202 and P0203 for injector malfunction cylinder 2 and 3. The garage i took it to says the software in ecm is malfunctioning but if this is so why is it not throwing all four cylinders instead of just two.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
if you need a car in a hurry, you ought to buy one that runs, your profile says you have other cars, why the rush, like the others say, we don't live here...anyways, i would verify it's getting spark and fuel and go from there...and while you have the spark plugs out, check the compression of all the cylinders.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 27, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:08 PM

It runs but throws those two codes, the cars for my wife and newborn daughter. Its got good compression, good spark just misfires because of injector failure in #2 and #3 cylinders. my question is if the software is bad in the ecm like the garage is saying why is it only throwing codes for 2&3 and not all 4? Obviously its getting fuel because its only misfiring in those 2 so im thinking its either an injector or wiring and not the ecm. But still would like input
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Pull the plugs and and check the gap, runs some seafoam In gas tank or other injector cleaner. And report back. Of your still getting codes after you clear them try new I injectors.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you guys forgot to tell him to put blocks on the pedals so the new born can reach them.....
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04bls84
It runs but throws those two codes, the cars for my wife and newborn daughter. Its got good compression, good spark just misfires because of injector failure in #2 and #3 cylinders. my question is if the software is bad in the ecm like the garage is saying why is it only throwing codes for 2&3 and not all 4? Obviously its getting fuel because its only misfiring in those 2 so im thinking its either an injector or wiring and not the ecm. But still would like input
I would imagine if the injector drivers are bad it would effect all of them. Have you checked to see if they are just clogged? Like switching 2 and 3 with 1 and 4 to see if the misfire changes cylinders?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:31 PM

Gonna swap them this week after the hurricanes over. Im thinking the same thing if it affects one or two it would affect all four if it were a driver issue, and as for the pedal blocks there adjustable so even jakermeister can reach them. Oh and i put the training wheels on and theres a diaper in there for ya too
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

you realize comments like that don't help your case in asking for help. I stick with my previous post. You should have some humility instead of your holier than thou approach. I also think you could use some training wheels in the search bar
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wonder how they determined the original ecu was bad? I would think it would have been easier just to flash the ECU originally. If there was a catastrophic electrical surge that fried the ECU, I would assume all electronics are questionable. SO, test the coils and see if they're good, check the wiring and look for any melted contacts or missing insulation (especially near any of the injector connections).

If the ECU they replaced was flashed originally and wasn't stock, I would assume the car came from someone who started modding it and got in over their head and junked the car (possibly). SO, you might run into a situation where you have different parts than stock. Are you sure it's a totally stock head and motor? The MAF could be different, the injectors could be different, etc.

Only time I had an issue like this was with an improper cam position sensor, so just to cover that base I would take it out and wipe off any residue on it.

Good luck! And just FYI, it's very rare you get an instant response here, it's not an instant messenger service. Plan for at least a week to get some responses to trickle in.

Quick Reply: 2003 LANCER OZ help!!