Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2002 Lancer Oz possible clutch slipping

Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Lancer Oz possible clutch slipping

Hello, I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Oz and I have been having some issues with my engine over revving at around 3000 rpm and I have to slowly accelerate over 3000 to get anything if I gun it sometimes it gives me what I want and more, but most of the time the engine revs very quickly but I dont get the acceleration, mechanics say its my clutch and that I need a new one but I find it hard to believe due to it has been doing it for quite awhile now. I do have a K&N Intake put it on my self, but I really am not to experienced in cars so I dont want to go in the engine or let them give me a new clutch unless I am for certain. Any suggestions would be most appreciated
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:21 PM

Your clutch is probably getting to the point that it needs to be replaced. How long have you driven on it like that and how many miles are on the car? Have you ever changed it before? I'm just trying to clear things up. But yes, if your revolutions go up and your speed slowly climbs, I mean really slow, then your going to need a new clutch. They run for ~350 bucks. I know the mirage ones fit but I forgot what year it was. You'll probably have to get your flywheel turned because you've been driving on a worn clutch for awhile and the surface could be uneven from the irregular heat. If it's bad, you'll have to buy a new flywheel.

Hope some other guys can chime in on this. Best of luck!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:38 AM

I had the same problem and it was the clutch. if you took it to a mechanic why would you find it hard to believe that it's the clutch if you don't trust their diagnosis then you shouldn't have taken it there in the first place