Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

my 02 es wont accelerate.....or drive..help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 02 es wont accelerate.....or drive..help!

alright, well i have a 2002 mitsubishi lancer es and i have a major problem. it is so bad that i cant even drive the car. it takes a few tries to start the car and when you try to accelerate from a stop the engine bogs and sounds like if you roll an R in a spanish word. it vibrates pretty bad while it does that too. i have to take my foot off the gas then give it gas and do that a few times before it starts to pick up. the problem progressed into it's current state. it use to just do it on small hills for some reason but now it does it everywhere and feels like it's going to stall when i take off from a stop sign. i have already replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, front catalytic converter, and front o2 sensor and it hasnt affected the problem at all. ever since the new fuel pump and filter my idle jumps around right after i first start the car though.
oh, and just fyi, my car never runs hotter than normal.
i just did a fresh OBD scan and it showed a cylinder 4 misfire.

i really need my car for work and right now it is so bad that i cant drive it.

Thank you very much for any input!!!!!!!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

More than likely a bad catalytic converter
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eusgen
More than likely a bad catalytic converter
+1^^. If you have replaced the front cat already then the easiest way to tell if the back one is toast is just disconnect the downpipe and go for a drive. Itll be loud as F*** but if you can accelerate fine then you know the back cat is toast. or at the very least really REALLY clogged
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:01 PM

it's not the back one either. i'm pretty sure it's spark plugs/wires, or a sensor, or maybe something with fuel delivery, but i dont know what sensor could do this and i dont know how to check fuel delivery to the front or what to check for with spark plugs or wires. i really dont want to spend any more money unless it will fix it. the catalytic's were bad anyways so i dont mind that i bought those, but my budget is very low.
how much would it cost (an educated guess will do) to have a mechanic just look at it/check it and tell me what's wrong?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Have you tried taking out the spark plugs to see what they look like? There are several charts online that will help you diagnose your problem by the color/deterioration of your spark plugs.

And I know I don't have to ask but you don't get any CEL codes?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you do have the check engine light on, some places will scan and tell you the code for free. So check around.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He has already stated that a cylinder 4 misfire code was pulled from the car. I also suggest you change the spark plugs. On top of that you should swap the coil packs around. If it is the coil pack causing your issue then when you swap them you should see the misfire switch from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2. Check your gap on your plugs and while they are out I suggest a compression test.

Last edited by 03lances; Dec 10, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:28 PM

alright. i believe the problem is SOLVED. i went to pull my spark plugs and the cylinders they are in have a lot of oil in them. i shoved a paper towel and in to sop up the oil and voila!

if you are wondering how that happened, it's my fault. i did an oil change a while back (about 2-3 oil changes ago) and i left the oil cap off by accident. i drove 2 hours to my destination after that and 2 hours back before i realized that i left it off. everything was covered in oil and i guess it made it's way to the spark plug holes..

so i am very happy that it is solved and was a free easy fix.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by knubs
alright. i believe the problem is SOLVED. i went to pull my spark plugs and the cylinders they are in have a lot of oil in them. i shoved a paper towel and in to sop up the oil and voila!

if you are wondering how that happened, it's my fault. i did an oil change a while back (about 2-3 oil changes ago) and i left the oil cap off by accident. i drove 2 hours to my destination after that and 2 hours back before i realized that i left it off. everything was covered in oil and i guess it made it's way to the spark plug holes..

so i am very happy that it is solved and was a free easy fix.
Hi,
I am glad to read it is fixed now, but it might not be definitely over if your spark plug tube gaskets are responsible for the oil leak inside the tubes. I can't imagine how the oil coming off the engine by the oil cap would re-enter the spark plug tubes given how tights are the coil fittings into the valve cover.
What you may have here are old/dry leaky spark plug tube gaskets.
A valve cover gasket + spark plug gaskets kit costs less than 20$ and would not be luxury if you haven't done it in a while. Changing plugs too
Cheers