Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Inner tie rod question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inner tie rod question

So I pulled the front wheels off my 04 OZ, and the brakes are fine, but there is plenty of play in the inner tie rods. the outers are tight.

BUT... there is play in *both* wheels, quite a bit, and I'm not yet sure if it is inner tie rods or rack free play. Questions:

1. Is it uncommon for both inner tie rods to be worn?

2. If this is indeed rack free play, any hope I could set the preload and get that out, or am I off to the JY for a tighter rack?

3. Any hope an JY rack will be better?

I have to enlist my wife into helping further diagnose this, holding the wheel and all to see where the play really is, unless this is a well known issue and you all have some advice.,..

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the outers are fine then it must be either the wheel bearings or inner rods. If you grab the wheel still bolted tight to the hub (off the ground of course) at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and you get play then its likely the wheel bearing. If you only get play when you grab it at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock then I would think the inner rods are the issue.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Also - not that this is guaranteed to happen, but when wheel bearings go bad they start to make noise/hum.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:33 PM

Doesn't seem to be the bearings

But I see the outer tie rod ends (Mitsu calls them 'tie rod ends', the inners they call 'tie rods') are fine, no play.

I'm going to pull the boots up and see that the play is indeed in the joint, which is not uncommon, and not in the rack, which would be worse. I can see getting a new rack in would be a chore.

It just surprised me to see both so worn. My Fords eat them one at time, the Saab never, just the center bushing. Go figure. I don't want to do unnecessary work, and waste money.