Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Rea shoe replacement fiasco

Old May 19, 2013, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rea shoe replacement fiasco

This is a new one on me. Replacing the rear shoes on my 04 OZ, i got through all the little things like the funky adjuster spring and the wave washer. But, putting on the drum and I could not fit it over the new shoes.

I cranked down the adjuster and before I got the shoes together enough to fit the drum on, the adjuster spring came loose and fell off.

I tried 3 times, even tying the spring in place, and the new shoes would not crank in together to let the drum go on. I put the old shoes back on, and it fit.

These were AutoZone parts, shoes and a hardware kit. Springs all look identical, the new springs are even a little shorter, probably the old ones are stretched. The hold downs had two cups on them, which is wierd.

So WHY would the new shoes be so thick that they would not fit? I do not expect that.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2013, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I've been rethinking this. I forgot that most sets of shoes have a leading and trailing ('front' and 'back') shoe on each side. Did I mix up those?

- One shoe each side has pins for the adjuster and e-brake.
- One show does not.
- Trailing shoes are expected to be thicker, they work harder.
- Left side trailing shoe has pins, right side trailing shoe does not (I assume I did not pull the drum on the right, but the e-brake lever should be trailing, which make sense - trailing is the harder workign one).

So tonight I will pull off the old shoes and try to pay attention to the thickness.

And no, no lip on the drum, rust or otherwise. The drums pop off easily, so they should go on easily, more or less, when the adjuster is set right.

Arggg...
Old May 20, 2013, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I could help, my drums weren't bad aside from just being drums and waymore complicated than discs and no hiccups on mine. I'm not looking forward to doing them again because I feel like I used all my luck on them the first time.