Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

04 Lancer ES small issue when first starting...

Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Lancer ES small issue when first starting...

My wife's car, which we recently purchased, is having a little issue that I have no clue how to diagnose.

At idle, with no gas pressed, the car has a VERY minor rpm dip when you put it in grear (automatic, so drive or reverse) and it doesn't really move forward or back like any other auto car I've driven. In other words, it seems like it gets less power than it should when it is put into gear at idle.

It has also turned off a couple times, out of probably 30-40 starts, when first turned on and immediately put into gear.

Otherwise, it drives great and both engine and trans work and sound as they should.

I do plan on doing the valve cover gasket and the spark plugs very soon as there is oil leaking outside and inside the spark plug holes. Timing belt looks to be in very good shape so I'm assuming someone did change it at around 100k since it now has 117xxx.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be oiled plug if those are leaking oil like you said. Or the idle air control might be gunked up. My money would be on plug and or plug wires though.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Automatic 51
It might be oiled plug if those are leaking oil like you said. Or the idle air control might be gunked up. My money would be on plug and or plug wires though.
Yeah I ordered the plugs, wires and valve cover gasket last night, so I'll be replacing everything soon. Is the idle control in the manual? I'm not too familiar with these engines as I've never worked on one before.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

ordered? from where?

You could have probably of bought all those things at the local parts store.

There is a downloadable pdf version of our manual somewhere around here.

edit found it here you go:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...able-here.html
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by eusgen
ordered? from where?

You could have probably of bought all those things at the local parts store.

There is a downloadable pdf version of our manual somewhere around here.

edit found it here you go:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...able-here.html
I buy everything I can from autohausaz as I trust them and always had good luck with their products.

As for the manual, I actually already have that downloaded, but I couldn't find any idle control valve in there, only some motor...
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ivopivo
I buy everything I can from autohausaz as I trust them and always had good luck with their products.

As for the manual, I actually already have that downloaded, but I couldn't find any idle control valve in there, only some motor...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=153351&d=1275624746
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Automatic 51
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=153351&d=1275624746
Thanks, but how do I clean/fix/improve it?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

I have read in another thread on this forum that MAF sensor cleaner can be used to clean the idle control valve.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Everything you have listed is a possibility for sure.

Go to autozone/advance and have them check your cold crank amps on your battery and see if it needs replacing, likewise they can check the condition of your alternator while checking the battery. Personal opinion would be to buy two cans of seafoam while you're there (one that is liquid and the other aerosol type will cost $20 for both). Id recommend this regardless of battery and alternator status due to mileage on your car.

You can also eliminate the following problems with this stuff and here is how;

Take the intake tubing off the throttle body and grab the aerosol seafoam and spray about 1/3 of the can into the manifold while pulling the throttle cable to open the valve (Clean the valve thoroughly..you might have to wipe off excess buildup depending on how bad it may be.) This takes care of a potentially sticky butterfly valve that could be causing the valve to not open during start.

Replace the intake tube back to your manifold. Start the car ( it will not turn over easy and when it does it will sound as if it will stall so give it some gas (200-2500rpm) and you should see a little or a lot of white smoke from your muffler.

Next there is a vac line that is next to the throttle body on the intake manifold. It looks like a "U" and is only about 2 inches long. Pull the top of the vac line off (top of the"U") and use the liquid seafoam and pour some into that vac line which will eventually get to where your intake valves are. Maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of the bottle (start with 1/4 for engine safety reasons, i.e. hydrolocking your motor). Start car and repeat the white smoke from the tailpipe process. This should help to resolve any sticky intake valves.

Lastly pour the rest of the liquid seafoam into your gas tank. This will do a awesome job of cleaning your injectors up.

Its not very hard but what generally causes these things to become "sticky" is carbon buildup. You should see a vac line running from your crankcase cover to your intake tubing. This is a excellent design as it will keep pressure from building in your motor, however, it pulls out hot carbon fumes that subsequently deposit in everything from you throttle body to intake valves, leaving carbon residue in its path.

General maintenance on these cars will keep it running like a champ.

Everything in this thread considered should get you straitened out. Then you have a happy wife and some of us know the benefits to that

Good luck!!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by andy2964
Everything you have listed is a possibility for sure.

Go to autozone/advance and have them check your cold crank amps on your battery and see if it needs replacing, likewise they can check the condition of your alternator while checking the battery. Personal opinion would be to buy two cans of seafoam while you're there (one that is liquid and the other aerosol type will cost $20 for both). Id recommend this regardless of battery and alternator status due to mileage on your car.

You can also eliminate the following problems with this stuff and here is how;

Take the intake tubing off the throttle body and grab the aerosol seafoam and spray about 1/3 of the can into the manifold while pulling the throttle cable to open the valve (Clean the valve thoroughly..you might have to wipe off excess buildup depending on how bad it may be.) This takes care of a potentially sticky butterfly valve that could be causing the valve to not open during start.

Replace the intake tube back to your manifold. Start the car ( it will not turn over easy and when it does it will sound as if it will stall so give it some gas (200-2500rpm) and you should see a little or a lot of white smoke from your muffler.

Next there is a vac line that is next to the throttle body on the intake manifold. It looks like a "U" and is only about 2 inches long. Pull the top of the vac line off (top of the"U") and use the liquid seafoam and pour some into that vac line which will eventually get to where your intake valves are. Maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of the bottle (start with 1/4 for engine safety reasons, i.e. hydrolocking your motor). Start car and repeat the white smoke from the tailpipe process. This should help to resolve any sticky intake valves.

Lastly pour the rest of the liquid seafoam into your gas tank. This will do a awesome job of cleaning your injectors up.

Its not very hard but what generally causes these things to become "sticky" is carbon buildup. You should see a vac line running from your crankcase cover to your intake tubing. This is a excellent design as it will keep pressure from building in your motor, however, it pulls out hot carbon fumes that subsequently deposit in everything from you throttle body to intake valves, leaving carbon residue in its path.

General maintenance on these cars will keep it running like a champ.

Everything in this thread considered should get you straitened out. Then you have a happy wife and some of us know the benefits to that

Good luck!!
Any photos of the hoses where I should pour/spray seafoam? I'll definitely run some seafoam through it, but don't know where to do it on this car. Also, I thought it was recommended to do this on a running car, not pour/spray while car is off, THEN turn on...?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:28 AM

Where does this gasket go? It came with the kit of 4 spark plug gaskets and the large valve cover gasket. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 04 Lancer ES small issue when first starting...-image.jpg  
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Any photos of the hoses where I should pour/spray seafoam? I'll definitely run some seafoam through it, but don't know where to do it on this car. Also, I thought it was recommended to do this on a running car, not pour/spray while car is off, THEN turn on...?
Yes your absolutely correct. I stated that for a safety issue. It is best that the car be warm and running. I have on a few occasions had the seafoam ignite while collected in the intake manifold and it sprayed through the vac line as well reversed through the throttle body and spray it in my face/eyes. It was just a safety factor for those that have never done it before, that it doesn't happen to them

Should be a picture of the vac line that is a bit tricky but that's where I pour the seafoam and stall the vehicle. Once I do stall the car, I usually let it sit for about 10 minutes then begin the smoke making.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails 04 Lancer ES small issue when first starting...-1372043577948.jpg  
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Where does this gasket go? It came with the kit of 4 spark plug gaskets and the large valve cover gasket. Thanks!
I'm not entirely sure myself. Looks possibly like a seal from your coil packs to plug wires...maybe?? My wires and plugs are NGK since I've owned the car and never seen those

Just a guess...
Attached Thumbnails 04 Lancer ES small issue when first starting...-1372044522054.jpg