Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Wife's ES

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife's ES

Car has sat for awhile, son decided to give to mom, I get the problems.
2003 Lancer ES ( home made SRI).....on start up, it takes quite a few tries to get it running while staying off the gas pedal, once started it idles ok ( 600-800 rpm). Can get the rpm up by feathering the pedal but it bogs down if given too much at one time. Took it on a lil run yesterday, could get it up too speed by feathering the pedal, ran fine ( peppy, no misfires etc.) but WOT it would bog down (almost like not enough fuel but only at WOT) Am going to pop lower o2 sensor off this morning and check for converter resiriction, maybe go through intake (clean, tighten etc.) It also is throwing no codes ( have my own reader)
Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 08:30 AM

Talking fixed almost

Amazing what cleaning the intake will do. Cleaned MAF, TB, etc. New shorty air filter. WOT hesitation almost all gone, running a full tank of fresh gas with injecter cleaner through it now. Might still need a new MAF but we'll see. Almost time to start looking at mods.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
you might just have water in the gas tank
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:20 AM

Always a possibility, had 1/4 tank, dumped some fresh in to get it over 3/4 after putting in the injector cleaner. Doing a lot better but still takes a bit to get it to start, Gonna pop the plugs off and replace tomorrow, see how that works. Can't complain, it was a free car. Already looking at the piggy back system for it but man that's a bit o cash. Anyways, am in Florida, it's 2pm or so and it's freaking hot, so it's siesta time
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:46 PM

Replaced plugs with NGK iridiums. preset gap of .040........old ones were about twice that gap.....starts up alot easier, still got slight hesitation at WOT, will get it eventually but pretty sure wife won't be stranded somewhere now.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 05:35 AM

possibly the problem

Ok, ES is still giving me problems starting. Was looking around engine compartment and found a hose that had been cut and plugged with a screw and hose clamp ( hhhmmmm....) Engine has been swapped as indicated by yellow salvage yard writing on the valve cover. Did some searching in forums ( yes I cheated and looked at others too, lol). Am I assuming correctly that the 2003 lancer had fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail? ( this engine does not, just 1 line into the rail on the drivers side). Is it possible later years had the regulator elsewhere?.......anyone know of any pics online to look at of the fuel rails/regulators?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 02-03 had a fuel return line going from the end of the fuel rail to the tank. The 04 and up are returnless. If they monkeyed that up with different parts that could be an issue if the engine had been replaced.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 02:16 PM

Yep....that's got to be it..found pic on Ebay of 03 and 06 fuel rails...mine looks like the 06. Guess I need to order the 03, comes with everything ( injectors, regulator, so at least I'd have extra injectors to rebuild if they start giving me problems.) Will post if it fixes it or not.