Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Engine hesitation issue 02 Lancer OZ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine hesitation issue 02 Lancer OZ

hey everyone. I just bought a 2002 Lancer OZ Rally for my son's first car. We've had it for a couple months now and now it seems as though it's developed a problem. The check engine light is on and OBD-II scanner reads P0301 (Cyl 1 misfire). At the time, the car hesitated pretty badly, boarderline jerking when accelerating but it seemed to idle fine. The first thing we did was check google and found that i could be bad coils. I got a new generic coil from Orielly's (Kragen Auto) and swapped it out and at first it seemed ok, for about a mile or 2 and then it started with a rough idle, randomly. I popped the hood and thought that maybe i didnt seat the plug wire good enough and started to mess with it (while the car was running) and it shocked me. I even saw the arc to my fingers. it only seemed to shock me when i squeezed where the boot was. After closer inspection of the plug wire, i noticed a little nick right about where i saw the arc. Like a needle sized hole. So then i figured the old coil might actually be good still and could save $90 and return the new one and just replace the plug wire. Well.. that didn't help. Nothing really changed. At first it seemed as though it got better after we changed the plug wire but it always eventually went back to the way it was. so now we are at a loss. not really sure what else to check.. Any ideas?

as a recap, whats in there right now is the new coil on cyl #1 and new plug wire going all the way to cyl #4 (far left, closest to passenger side cylinder).

fyi, when i mess with that plug wire, like I did with the old one, i still get a little shock, though this one seems a tiny bit stronger.

So thats all the symtoms I can think of and can convey here. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Eric.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Touching the insulating sheath of the wire should not shock you.

I'm guessing you already checked the spark plug...

Next step is do a compression test and then if all have similar compression try swapping injectors.