Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Car won't start but cranks!! help asap!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start but cranks!! help asap!

So a few days ago i was driving and all of a sudden the car just felt like it ran outta gas, the pedals got hard and the steering wheel just wouldn't turn. I pulled over to the side street and had a friend come to jump start thinking maybe its the battery. But nope battery is fine, all the lights work fine. The car just cranks but won't start up! Thinking its maybe fuel so i put it in a new fuel pump but still won't start. So fuel,compression and spark is what makes a engine start i suppose. Whats next to check? Gonna put in new spark plugs later when i get off work. Ignition coils maybe?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 07:15 PM

I think i figured out the problem. It was not the fuel pump since i took it out and tested it and it was fine. But the positive side of the connector that is connected at the top of the fuel pump assembly is not getting power to it. So its not getting power to the fuel pump somehow and i have yet to figure out the problem. Suggestions on what to check is appreciated!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 07:22 PM

If you have a dmm (digital multi meter) test along the wire that isnt getting power find where it starts and test along that wire (a couple of inches at a time) some times wires can get corrosion in them and cause problems like this. i had a similar problem in my old truck Power wire from battery to starter crapped out.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you check the fuses? If you turn the key forward without trying to start it, can you hear humming coming from the fuel pump at all? Just seems weird that while driving the fuel pump just stopped getting power to it, unless one of the fuses blew. I would check the fuses under the hood. But if that seems ok and you can hear humming come from the fuel pump. Take your valve cover off and make sure the timing belt didn't break. If you ever have a car just randomly die like that, the 1st thing you should check is the timing belt. You increase your chances of bending rods when you crank the car with a broken belt.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 01:35 PM

ahh ill check the timing belt,, and no i didn't hear a humming sound,, only when i took out the fuel pump and apply power to it.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:23 PM

if the belt went out,, then i assume there would be no cranking rite?,,., anywase my friend was tracing the wires to see where it went out at.. and he ended up in the fuse box under the dash,, he said something bout the wiring is probably bad or something and needs to rewire.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

if the timing belt broke, it would crank but never start. Double and triple check all of your fuses before messing with the wiring
Old Sep 6, 2013, 01:48 PM

oh really,, okay,, is there any other way of checking the belt without removing the valve?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 03:38 PM

okay so,, i double check all the fuses and they were fine. I went on to check the relay but i don't know to check if they work or not,, so i switch the fuel pump relay 1 with the horn relay and the horn worked,, but when i swap the fuel pump relay 2 the horn didn't work. Is it that fuel pump relay 2 is bad? I don't wanna go to autozone and waste money on a new relay since i can't return electrical items.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Try taking the horn relay and putting it in for the fuel pump relay 2, swap the 2. make sure the horn don't work so you know that you swapped out the correct one. Then try to start the car. if it starts or you can hear the fuel pump turn on. You will know that's your problem.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 05:02 PM

FIXED** shop said wires going to the fuse box was shorted,, $440 later and 2 weeks and its fixed,, w.e. just glad to get this POS fixed.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn $440 to find a shorted wire? I gotta raise my prices… lol
Old Dec 11, 2015, 05:07 PM
RAC

I'm having similar issues with my 2008 Evo x. I'm curious on how much the shop charge for the repair?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RAC
I'm having similar issues with my 2008 Evo x. I'm curious on how much the shop charge for the repair?

Thanks in advance.
It really depends. A non start issue can be caused by a number of different things. Were you driving and the car randomly shut off and won't start? Or did you come out one day to start it and it wouldn't fire up?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
It really depends. A non start issue can be caused by a number of different things. Were you driving and the car randomly shut off and won't start? Or did you come out one day to start it and it wouldn't fire up?

exactly, that could be a broken timing belt......

or could be something simple also... I know this thread is old, But a wire was shorted, need to figure out why that was shorted.....

Quick Reply: Car won't start but cranks!! help asap!