Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

02 Lancer Fan spinning fast/Temp Gauge going up

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Lancer Fan spinning fast/Temp Gauge going up

Hey how's it going everyone?

So I have an 02 lancer oz rally and recently it's been acting pretty weird. When I turn on the car and it warms up The rad fan comes on and spins extremely fast and it doesn't turn off, and also my temp gauge sky rockets even though the car is not over heating. I read that some people say the fan control module fails, but does it make the temp gauge act funny?

About three weeks ago my car was in fact overheating due to a blown head gasket but I have gotten that replaced along with a new water pump, pulley, and timing belt.

Another thing I notice is when I start the car it doesn't sound like a healthy start up. It's not hesitating, but it kinda makes a rumble noise and continues to start up just fine. Once the car warms up then it'll turn on just fine like a normal car. Not sure if it has anything to do with my problem.

I would appreciate any help. I tried searching the forums for an answer but I couldn't find anything EXACTLY the same as my problem. Thanks for your time guys!

Chris
Old Nov 19, 2013, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be the thermostat or an air bubble in the coolant system.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

But do you think that would make his temp "skyrocket"? But who did the head gasket job? Was it done properly? Is your coolant looking normal?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by 701evo
But do you think that would make his temp "skyrocket"? But who did the head gasket job? Was it done properly? Is your coolant looking normal?
I did the whole job along with a new timing belt and water pump. I followed all the instructions in the manual and the car runs excellent. Coolant looks fine. I've read that my temp sender could be at fault and it's telling the ecu that the car is running too hot and thus making the fan turn on. I ordered the coolant temp sensor and a sender. Hopefully that fixes everything. I've noticed now though that my heater isn't blowing hot air so I'm guessing that when I had a bad head gasket that maybe it clogged the heater core? I've had this car for a bit over a year now and I have been under the hood the whole time. I just want to finally enjoy the car with my family lol