Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

7.5 fuse keeps blowing after hitting a rock on FWY

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.5 fuse keeps blowing after hitting a rock on FWY

Hello everyone. Merry Christmas.

So last night I was on my way back home with my family on the fwy. I was going about 80mph and next thing I knew their was a huge rock in front of me. I had cars on both sides of me so I couldn't avoid it. It hit hard and sounded like my tire blew but it didn't. I got off immediately to check everything. Luckily no leaks or transmission or engine damage. The one thing that did happen though is my passenger side tail light wasnt working and my hvac lights also stopped working. I've had this problem before and I knew immediately that it was a 7.5 fuse in the engine bay. Sure enough it was blown, but I put I new one and that one blew right away. I tried another and same thing happened. Could the rock have ripped a wire or something beneath the car that would cause this? Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 01:57 PM

It does sound like a short. But the thing is that wires that run to the back of the car are routed inside the car so unless that rock tore through metal I don't think it cut anything... Wondering if the sheer impact jarred something loose. Might have to get out a volt meter or power probe short finder and start tracing it down :/
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:53 PM

Hey thanks. I think I found the problem. I found a wire on the radio harness that had bare wires hanging out. I taped it up and the fuses stopped blowing. I guess when I hit the rock it shook the car enough to move that wire to a spot that had bare metal.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:15 AM

Great!! Glad you found the problem!!.. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the stereo ground wire.. That sucker has gotten me several times lol... Again glad you found it ��