Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2002 LS Dieseling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 LS Dieseling

So, my Lancer is on loan to my son's girlfriend. (I know, I know. But she's very responsible, and she's been very good at telling me about any issues with it.) The challenge is that she lives two hours away.

Yesterday she told me... Well what she described sounds like its dieseling when she shuts it off. I told her first thing to go top off the gas tank, in case she got a tank of bad gas. (Honestly, not sure that could cause it, but it couldn't hurt.)

Reading in other posts, someone suggested leaky injectors, but said that should cause hard starting. She says it hasn't been hard to start. Also temperature has been fine.

I'm hoping she can bring it down this weekend so I can look at it. Any suggestions for what I should check? Most of what I'm thinking of relates to carbureted, not fuel injected cars... Would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly there could be a couple different things causing this. Being that its a 14 year old car and depending the type of maintenance and part replacements made throughout its life, A bad or leaking injector may be the culprit. But with that being said, that usually would mean there is a hot spot inside the motor maybe caused by that leaky injector, and has lead to build up of carbon that for a few seconds after the car is shut off is still glowing red hot. coupled with the injector that may be bad and leaking a little would burn from the unspent fuel.

The other potential culprit could be a spark plug or 2 may be bad. I've heard of some off brands made cheaply or rated incorrectly that have been known to glow red for a few seconds too, which would be no different that a hot spot from carbon.

A lot of what you can do depends on how comfortable you are tackling it. I'd do the basics first. Pull the plugs and see how they look. They can speak volumes on how the engine is running inside. You can have the injectors tested as well for flow and resistance and leaks.

Also, have the car checked for CEL Codes. See if its recorded anything in the ECU that may show that something may be out of whack. Hope this helps a little.