Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Fuel sending unit going bad? 2002 OZ Rally

Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel sending unit going bad? 2002 OZ Rally

For the past couple of fillups at the gas pump my gauge has been reading a little over 3/4 of a tank. When normally it would go all the way to the full mark but lately is hasn't. Sending unit getting stuck?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump... Same issue here :-( I installed a new fuel pump and a used fuel sending unit...

My fuel gauge is all over the place! For example; I will fill up the tank and the fuel needle will say that I'm at 1/2. Every time I start the car the needle changes to 1/8, 1/2, 3/4, and even the empty light comes on. This has been very frustrating for me!

Can somebody provide any solutions? I have done some research and found out that the problem may have something to do with the fuel tank?? The fuel tank really?

Also - Would installing a new Fuel Injector Pressure Regulator do anything to fix this?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by hamilton_eddie
Bump... Same issue here :-( I installed a new fuel pump and a used fuel sending unit...

My fuel gauge is all over the place! For example; I will fill up the tank and the fuel needle will say that I'm at 1/2. Every time I start the car the needle changes to 1/8, 1/2, 3/4, and even the empty light comes on. This has been very frustrating for me!

Can somebody provide any solutions? I have done some research and found out that the problem may have something to do with the fuel tank?? The fuel tank really?

Also - Would installing a new Fuel Injector Pressure Regulator do anything to fix this?
This could be a couple of things, I would pull the fuel sending unit, and check the movability of the float. If it feels glitchy anywhere you've got youre problem right there. The other possible solution is the potentiometer (I have no hope of spelling that our right), the thingy-ma-bob, that reads the float's position might have a bad contact which would result in strange readings.

For the fuel gauge that doesn't go all the way up, I'm thinking your float can't move correctly, for one reason or another.

For the shifty fuel needle that never seems to read in the right place, I'm thinking you probably have a short in the wiring, or possibly the harness, or the contacts on the sending unit are messed up.

Either way, both of you are at the very least pulling the sending unit to inspect it, just make sure to observe the no smoking signs, and unplug your battery...

EDIT: Because I forgot to address this, fuel pressure regulator just controls the pressure in your fuel rail by opening and closing the fuel return line. In some cars it also doubles as the fuel pulsation dampener, regardless, it would be neither a contributing or affected factor.

Last edited by ichihollow; Sep 6, 2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 07:20 PM

Smile

Fixed my own problem did a little research about sulfur building up on the sending unit? Don't know how true it is but I threw some Seafoam into the tank and bam my needle read a full tank when I filled her up .
Old Sep 9, 2014, 08:01 PM

Glad everything worked out for you and thanks for letting us know what worked.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My fuel gauge issue ended up being an electrical issue. I guess the circuit board in the gauge cluster had a short. I replaced the whole cluster from one I found in a junk yard. Problem solved!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:32 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Poltergeist
Fixed my own problem did a little research about sulfur building up on the sending unit? Don't know how true it is but I threw some Seafoam into the tank and bam my needle read a full tank when I filled her up .
Actually, some motorcycles are known for this also. Sulfur, gunk, slime, etc. Have to clean them out every so often or the reading is off.