Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2003 mitsubishi lancer es ignition coil issue help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 mitsubishi lancer es ignition coil issue help

Hi everyone, i hope you guys can help me with a issue im having with my 2003 Mitsubishi lancer es

Im having issue where it stutters when accelerating and accelerates slowly when getting on freeway, ive notice that it waist more gas on freeway than on street.

i got the check engine light and scanned it and i got " CYLENDER 4 MISFIRE" and switched the spark plug from cylender 4 to 1 and still got a stutter and when the check engine light came back on i was going to scan it but after i turned the car off then when turning it back on it wouldnt start, the dash board wouldnt even light up, soo i had mess with battery plugs to get it to start but of course engine light wasnt present anymore, car still acts the same but no check engine light .

could it be the ignition coil or spark plugs ? fyi i got the cheap NGK spark plugs ( $6.00) lol
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The exact same issue happened to me a few years ago! Don't try to guess what wire, plug or coil is bad. Replace all of them.

What you need to do: Replace both of the ignition coil boots (2). Replace the other spark plug boots (2) and make sure all the spark plug wires are new. Replace the 4 spark plugs using the NGK brand making sure they are gapped correctly

So basically you need to replace EVERTHING dealing with the ignition. This will insure that you will have your bases covered. Don't try to guess what wire or coil is bad or plug is bad! Replace everything new and your problem will be fixed guaranteed
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by hamilton_eddie
The exact same issue happened to me a few years ago! Don't try to guess what wire, plug or coil is bad. Replace all of them.

What you need to do: Replace both of the ignition coil boots (2). Replace the other spark plug boots (2) and make sure all the spark plug wires are new. Replace the 4 spark plugs using the NGK brand making sure they are gapped correctly

So basically you need to replace EVERTHING dealing with the ignition. This will insure that you will have your bases covered. Don't try to guess what wire or coil is bad or plug is bad! Replace everything new and your problem will be fixed guaranteed
Mr. Eddie, don't take this the wrong way, but this is wrong. This is a great way to throw money away for no reason. It's not, as it seems, a guaranteed way to solve the problem. Keep in mind, no manufacturer is immune to mistakes, and you might by four brand new coils and one of the new ones is bad.

What I would recommend you do is pull your plugs. Find the one that looks really different than the others. Your spark plugs should look like an ash grey color, but one, possibly two plugs will look darker. That plug is likely not firing, or not firing at full potential/intermitantly. This is your bad one, as your code suggested earlier, it's probably cyl 4. If it's a shared plug swap the plug wire that comes off the coil and goes to that plug with the other wire. If it's a coil per plug swap the coil with any other coil, clear your codes and wait for the new code to come up. A missfire code shouldn't take more than two or three minutes to set.

Sorry my information is more general than specific, but I'll be glad to help you out if you'll work with me a bit to fill in the gaps on a few things, like your coil/plug set up.

Mr. Eddie, again, I hope I didn't offend you that wasn't the intent, and I've certianly thought like that before, but that's the kind of attitude that gives mechanics a bad name and makes them so expensive. Diagnostics takes a little more time, but saves a lot of money.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 06:33 PM

I have same situation with my 02 OZ Rally, but cylinder 3 misfire code, i have already swapped coils, new plugs and wires, new cam position sensor, 4 "known good" injectors, cleaned MAF and replaced a "known good" IAC, Compression across the cylinders is 180 + or - 4 psi. Keep in mind I have 22 years experience with cars and I know lingo, but I am stumped with this car, I have done other stuff but don't remember it right now.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 07:47 PM

Did you check you harness going to your coils?