Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Ac off or not cool makes my motor die

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ac off or not cool makes my motor die

Hey everybody, im new and got y first lancer yesterday. Always had gravy sweatin chevys but really wanted a tuner and couldnt pass on my new baby. She runs like a champ but for some odd reason if i lower the ac from full cold to slightly warmer i idle low and if i turn off the blower motors shes dies every time. Looks like the previous owner put in some after market stuff and im wondering if he got a couple wires crossed. I dont know. Just seems like a wierd issue. Any help or info would be great winter will be here soon and even though the ac wouldnt bug me it may bug my three kids and old lady lol. Thanks everybody for any comments or tips you may have.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by TexasJeffe
Hey everybody, im new and got y first lancer yesterday. Always had gravy sweatin chevys but really wanted a tuner and couldnt pass on my new baby. She runs like a champ but for some odd reason if i lower the ac from full cold to slightly warmer i idle low and if i turn off the blower motors shes dies every time. Looks like the previous owner put in some after market stuff and im wondering if he got a couple wires crossed. I dont know. Just seems like a wierd issue. Any help or info would be great winter will be here soon and even though the ac wouldnt bug me it may bug my three kids and old lady lol. Thanks everybody for any comments or tips you may have.
Jeffe, first off, I want to appologize I don't have a Lancer to go through the diagnostics with you but if you'll work with me I'd love to help you out with your problem. What happens if, while the car is off but the key is in the on position, if you change the logicon settings to blow straight hot air, without A/C on, and then you try to start the car? Will it start?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 05:44 AM

Now she seems to run fine with ac off and with heat going, but shes idles low with ac off. Ive begun to think shes compensating for the extra load on the motor "ac on" by idling higher and with it off idles around 550-650rpm. My plan for tommorow is to tear apart my cai and make it a short ram " huge puddles round here on my way to work" and while im tinkering with that to clean my iac and maf. Dis and reconnect battery and let her idle with everything off for roughly 20 minutes to see if she learns a new idle. Havent been able to find any type of iac adjuster screw.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by TexasJeffe
Now she seems to run fine with ac off and with heat going, but shes idles low with ac off. Ive begun to think shes compensating for the extra load on the motor "ac on" by idling higher and with it off idles around 550-650rpm. My plan for tommorow is to tear apart my cai and make it a short ram " huge puddles round here on my way to work" and while im tinkering with that to clean my iac and maf. Dis and reconnect battery and let her idle with everything off for roughly 20 minutes to see if she learns a new idle. Havent been able to find any type of iac adjuster screw.
You need to remove your TB and clean both sides of the valve and the walls. It needs to look brand new again. Again I dont know the Lancer's real intimately yet, that's why I'm here but its possible you dont have an Idle Set Screw. If you do, I'd bet it would be on the TB where your throttle cable connects. The "home" position for the TB is probably adjustable by a small screw. If your Lancer uses "fly by wire" or a computer controlled throttle body, you won't have a throttle cable in the engine bay, at which point the best way to reset your idle is to unplug your battery and clean your TB. I'd almost bet its all you have to do, but your car is acting a little strange for that to be the only thing wrong. I do hope it is though. Let me know how it goes for you.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
There is an idle screw. But you shouldn't use it unless you can put your car in SAS mode.

Make sure you don't have a plugged vacuum line or anything. Clean all the ports coming off the throttle body really good. Also clean the idle air control valve
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
In addition, the ecu tells the car to increase everything with the ac on. That could be why it has more of a chance at running with the ac on.