Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

'04 Lancer ES - No start (detailed story)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 Lancer ES - No start (detailed story)

Hey everyone so I have an issue with my Mitsubishi Lancer ES (2004) and it's urgent I know what it is. This car comes with a story from the start of it's issue until now. It all started driving on the highway, car randomly dies, power steering and braking locked up, power was completely gone. Me being the idiot I am I sat there and turned over quite a few times, nothing. Called for help, pushed the car to a secure location, went to work and diagnosis. Scanner came up with code 340 (camshaft sensor). Replaced ourselves after we went to oreilly's auto parts, ordered the camshaft sensor there. Still no turn over. Crankshaft code came on the scanner along with camshaft (335,340), someone suggested checking the timing belt. Sure ****, the belt was missing half of it's teeth. Took the car to a mechanic, he replaced that and the water pump, synced the sensors correctly and timed correctly, no start still. Next issue was the head itself. All valves bent and everything was screwed, took the head in for a head job. Everything brand new in the head (cylinder head was not cracked in the process). The guy installed the head, and timed again etc. No start. Scanner determined 335 340 codes still, he went back in and replaced the crankshaft sensor, code 335 went away. (crankshaft). camshaft remains, when trying to start it coughs and trys but will not. It turns over and everything. Also when the crankshaft sensor was bad he did a bench test and it came back bad, which is why it was replaced. Compression excellent, runs on 180 psi never better before, fuel pressure has not been tested, battery is fully charged and working, camshaft has yet to be replaced again and the starter has not been looked at. Any other possible issues please note here I would love some professional feedback to resolve this annoying issue. Thanks guys!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I would start by checking the timing to make sure the cam gear and crankshaft are lined up with the timing marks. Just off a cpl teeth can cause it to not start. If that's good, I would make sure your fuel pump is kicking on and supplying fuel, and if that's good I'd make sure you're getting spark