Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Help! Reverse/Back-Up Lights Not Turning On

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Help! Reverse/Back-Up Lights Not Turning On

Okay so my reverse lights (on both sides) are not working.
A little background info. I did have some cheap license plate camera directly connected to one of the reverse light wires - this was over a year ago. I recently got a Clarion and updated the camera to a much higher quality one. When I took it to the shop to install they said my back-up lights had no power.

My troubleshooting so far:
Replaced the fuse (#18 in the car) and that is fine.
Checked all the other components that would have power come out of the engine fuse box relay responsible for fuse #18 - they all worked fine.
Replaced both back-up bulbs with brand new ones - they are fine.
Read up online and found out it may be the back-up lamp switch - this apparently does not exist in the none turbo models since there is only a harness connection, not the use plug-in with a screw into the transmission.
It does not seem to be the trunk harness since I tested and received a voltage signal but I am not too sure.
At this point, I have no idea what could be causing the issue. Any one that can provide any help or insight, I would really appreciate it!!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Please clarify - did the shop install the new camera? Or did they not (because the lights don't work)?

If they did install the new camera - does it work (come on when car goes into reverse)?
Check the new camera ground and the back up light ground at the connector.

Disconnect the camera and see if the lights work again.

Do you 'know for sure' the back up lights worked with the old camera? (It would have been quite hard to see at night without the lights...)
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:33 AM

I threw the old camera away. I had wired the power and ground to it before even having a head unit for it to work with so I actually have no idea if it ever worked or if it knocked out my reverse lights - I am just assuming that it did mess up my lights.

The new camera is installed but is not connected to the back up lights because of this issue of power to the lights. The camera works fine. The Clarion has an option to just pull up the camera. Once I fix the back up lights, the shop is going to tie into that ability for an auto camera pull up in reverse.

Originally Posted by Veronica
Please clarify - did the shop install the new camera? Or did they not (because the lights don't work)?

If they did install the new camera - does it work (come on when car goes into reverse)?
Check the new camera ground and the back up light ground at the connector.

Disconnect the camera and see if the lights work again.

Do you 'know for sure' the back up lights worked with the old camera? (It would have been quite hard to see at night without the lights...)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try this schematic
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
reverse schematic.pdf (197.6 KB, 0 views)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:45 PM

That's the as schematic I've been using.

One thing I've noticed is when I tested the power to where the bulbs connect with the trunk harness, the reading fluctuates from 1.0 then decreases down to 0.5 then comes up to 0.7/0.8 for a while and continues to fluctuate a bit between the wider range.

One other thing that was part of the background information.. When I first switched out the cameras, none of the trunk lights were working. They had all slowly regained their functions except the reverse lights. This is the most puzzling part of the issue for me.

Originally Posted by CamShaft
Try this schematic

Last edited by ooSupergirloo; Oct 22, 2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, you shouldn't have 1 volt. You need to trace further up the circuit. Do you have 12V in reverse at connector C-311 pin 2 at the ETACS? Sounds like you may have a backfeeding circuit. Just disconnect the F-23 connector and then measure the voltage there and at the ETACS. Proceed either way until you have your 12v or it disappears when you connect something.

Last edited by CamShaft; Oct 22, 2014 at 08:32 PM.