Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Radiator Fans Low Speed - Fan Control Module

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator Fans Low Speed - Fan Control Module

Hi everybody,

I have a 05 Lancer LS 2.0L. Last week car overheated and radiator started to leak. It turned out thermostat was not working.

Replaced both the radiator and thermostat, but the mechanic said the fans were not coming on (He told me this with the car running without thermostat, temperature was at 1/3). So bought a new thermostat (82°C just like the original one, and installed it).

I have been driving the car and temperature always reaches the middle, and fans docome on, but it seems like at a low speed. I turn the AC on and the fans seem to turn at a higher speed. Is this correct?

Does this mean the fan control module is defective? I replaced it last year because whenever I started the car, fans would come on, and replacing it fixed that problem. So now 1 year later here I am facing te possibility of it not doing its job.

I checked the voltage from the battery to the sensor, and I get the normal 12.x voltage. But I don't get voltage to the fans with the AC off, and nothing either with the AC on. (I tried the defective sensor which turned the fans on at all times, and voltage was always above 10V). After driving it, and once car reached normal operative temperature, fans come on at that 'low' speed...

Coolant level is OK. No bubbles. New thermostat. New coolant temp sensor. Water pump is OK.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this? I have done my research, but since I do not have any blockages, I do not know what to do next...

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:41 AM

Update: Side connector on the fan control module reads 0V wen Ac is OFF and 14.3V when AC is ON. I keep checking the fans, and they keep spinning at a low speed, and when I switch the AC ON, fans run at a higher speed.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 02:20 PM

Update 2: Side connector when car is hot enough and sends voltage to the fans to start is 5.3V +/-.2V at a Low Speed. Does this mean the Fan Control Module is working OK?
Old Apr 13, 2024, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 05LSMx
Update 2: Side connector when car is hot enough and sends voltage to the fans to start is 5.3V +/-.2V at a Low Speed. Does this mean the Fan Control Module is working OK?
what's the solution?