Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Door Locking issue

Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Door Locking issue

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES
Power doors & windows
Auto

I am unable to lock all four doors via the master door lock (driver side). All other functions work including unlocking all four doors, windows, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I can go about solving this issue? Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by SilentCool
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES
Power doors & windows
Auto

I am unable to lock all four doors via the master door lock (driver side). All other functions work including unlocking all four doors, windows, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I can go about solving this issue? Thanks.

does the driver side key cylinder lock all the doors? or is that what you mean? what about the door lock switch inside on the interior door panel...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Nov 10, 2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
does the driver side key cylinder lock all the doors? or is that what you mean? what about the door lock switch inside on the interior door panel...
Never tried the key lock cylinder. I was referring to the interior door lock switch.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Never tried the key lock cylinder. I was referring to the interior door lock switch.
they are tied together electrically...the key lock cylinder is also a switch, you should be able to lock and unlock all 4 doors by turning the key twice. so if they both don't work, or one does and the other doesn't, then it'll give me a better idea what's going on.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

they are tied together electrically...the key lock cylinder is also a switch, you should be able to lock and unlock all 4 doors by turning the key twice. so if they both don't work, or one does and the other doesn't, then it'll give me a better idea what's going on.
I see, thanks a lot. Will get back to you.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Cranswick, so when I lock from outside by turning the key twice, all the doors lock & unlock. Pressing the switch from inside doesn't lock all doors. It only unlocks. Hope that can give you a better idea of what's going on.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont drive through bad areas and you dont need to lock your doors :P
Old Nov 13, 2014, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Cranswick, so when I lock from outside by turning the key twice, all the doors lock & unlock. Pressing the switch from inside doesn't lock all doors. It only unlocks. Hope that can give you a better idea of what's going on.

the two switches share a ground and a power source from the ETACS-ECU...so it's most likely that the switch itself is faulty..the driver side switch panel (main door lock, power window lock, all power window switches? come as one assembly...it's $170 new from mitsubishi, so I would start looking at auto wreckers...car-part.com is a great source, for autowrecker inventory...use criteria: 2003, Mitsubishi lancer, window switch (front door) and they are as much as $100 and as little as $20, but most are in the $40-$50 range...call around, I've found small parts I needed that were really far away, and I found a couple of places that will ship parts at your expense, so that's perfect if there are none close to you.

I would open the door panel up, and have a look at the wiring, and check the harness for damage/corrosion or loose pins etc. before buying anything.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eusgen
Dont drive through bad areas and you dont need to lock your doors :P
Yeah that shouldn't be a problem. Besides, I'm living in Brooklyn, New York. :-D
Old Nov 15, 2014, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem. Besides, I'm living in Brooklyn, New York. :-D
lol...just like in the movies?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

lol...just like in the movies?
Lol my area is pretty decent, actually. Personally I don't believe Brooklyn NY is as bad or worse than any other city with bad areas.

Last edited by SilentCool; Nov 24, 2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

So I swapped out the master door lock and it didn't solve the issue. I'm guessing opening up the door panel and checking harnesses is what needs to be done. I'm just not sure what I will be looking for.