Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Strange squeak

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange squeak

Hello to all, I have a 2002 lancer es, manual tranny, and everytime I drive this squeak noise occurs, it only happens when I do certain things, if I acceleare or decelerate it happens. My car jerks back and forth a bit when I let go off the gas that's when the noise happens. What I've concluded is whenever the body shifts due to a change in acceleration it squeaks, as if something's was grinding against something. Has anyone else had this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, mine has had it for years. Worse in winter time. I tried changing the torque mounts (front and back motor mounts) and it didn't make a difference. It may be the mounts on the fenders, or possibly just the struts compressing and extending. I'm like 80% deaf anyway so I'm not worried about it. You're not in any danger of a part imminently failing- I've been driving with that squeak for 100k+ miles. Spend your money on something else. If that's the worst thing wrong with your 13 year old car, you're doing great.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help and feedback, good to know I'm not the only one. I guess I have not much to worry about then.