Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Heating Up at Idle With AC, 2003 Lancer OZ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Heating Up at Idle With AC, 2003 Lancer OZ

I've talked to a coworker's husband who's an Autozone manager about this but I'm throwing this out there for second opinions before dumping my time and money on this.

If the AC is off, the car doesn't get hot/out of normal if it's sitting, moving, etc. If the AC is on, we're good as long as the car is moving, but if I stop or say, go through a drive through, the temps creep up.

I was told this is probably the 2 AC fans. Does this sound right? My understanding is if so, this can be avoided by just turning the AC off.

If that's the case, this is going behind the new timing belt in line for this car. I have 180k miles on it, and the belt was last changed between 90k and 100k. A visual inspection of it looks fine to people who've seen it, but I'm antsy. Name:  oYzGAuO.png
Views: 0
Size:  547 Bytes

I feel like this car and my health can both smell whenever I have money left over after bills so they can break.

Edit: I drive mainly highway with a 30mi commute to work. I'd say 80+% is on a freeway.

Last edited by ruarctb; Jun 1, 2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
first question...when the AC is turned on, does the fan come on (passenger side of radiator) second, when the car reaches operating temperature, does the other fan come on?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
first question...when the AC is turned on, does the fan come on (passenger side of radiator) second, when the car reaches operating temperature, does the other fan come on?
It did just as I checked it. And the other fan was on. I just am sitting in work parking lot. It started to get hot with ac but as soon as I turned it off the temp gauge started to go back down.

Car fan: https://youtu.be/csmIRtjgALE
Old Jun 4, 2015, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

you got some oil leaks on the valve cover and PCV valve...

ok, so your water pump is driven by the timing belt, so it's not slipping...when the engine is cool (DO NOT ****ING TAKE YOUR RAD CAP OFF WHEN IT"S HOT, IT WILL MELT YOUR FACE OFF, I'M NOT KIDDING) and have a look at the coolant level, is there coolant in the overflow reservoir? coolant level should be right at the top of the rad, and should not be frothy, or discoloured...
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:05 PM

http://imgur.com/a/eDHAn

It looks like it was low. I topped off the radiator directly with prediluted prestone. The coolant tub had fluid in it but I guess over all system was low.

I drove it 30 ish miles home and have let it sit idle for a while with AC full blast without issue.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

keep us posted
Old Aug 15, 2015, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought a 2002 lancer gdi engine in April, been busy havent got a around to get it fully ready. The previous owner havent drove it in years. what are the parts i should change???? oh i noticed that whenever i get to 2000rpm or higher the gdi eco comes off