Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Overheating and driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overheating and driving me nuts!

2003 OZ started overheating a couple weeks back, took her in to the shop and they said the fans had stopped working. Tested those fans and they powered on, So I thought it has to be the control module. I replaced both just to be safe. New fans and control module and everything works for a day, no fans again... tested the control module and there was no power to the fans. Replaced the control module again, this time it lasted 4 days or so before it started overheating again this morning. The fans work when power is applied directly to them, the second control module is no t supplying power to the fans when hot, nor when the AC is on. There is power being supplied to the control module.

So I have two options, find out what is killing the control modules, They are 254 bucks a piece... or replace it with two separate relays (one for each fan), but I do not want to have to switch them on and off, nor do I want them to run all the time. So I would need to find the temp sensors that trigger the fans to turn on. Anyone have any ideas where those temp sensors are? or thoughts on what could be causing the control modules to fail?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
fan control modules should only be like $120 each...they used to only cost $70, and that is genuine mitsubishi...whoever is selling them for that price is ripping you off. for the problem you are having, verify the correct fuse is being used, and check your wiring for short circuits.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could also be the temp sensor. If it goes out the ecu doesn't know when to kick on the fans.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 02:20 PM

dumped it off at the dealer today (who is also the one who was ripping me off on the fan controller, every dealer in the area is over 250 on the controller).

My mind is completely boggled, I re-tested the original fan controller and the new one with different results. I was just getting more and more confused so I decided to drop it at the dealer and let them tell me what is wrong with it.

Test :

12V feed (pin 1) from the wiring harness to the controller, ground(pin 3) from the harness to the controller, middle pin (pin 2) in the wiring harness is ground when the vehicle is not running and the engine is cool. I am assuming 12V on this pin when the car is at temp to trigger the fans to engage.

Here is where it gets wonky... Original fan controller will power the fans when 12v is applied to pin 1, pin 3 is grounded, and pin2 is grounded! Although the fans do not come on when the fan controller is plugged int to the harness...

New controller will power the fans when 12v is applied to pin 1, ground on pin 3 and 12v applied to pin 2! does not power the fans when the controller is plugged into the harness even if the car is at temp, or above temp...

I also pulled the relay in the fuse box (I was already getting power to the harness so I was pretty sure it was working) with the relay out no power at the harness.

I will update when I hear what the issue is.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
fan control modules should only be like $120 each...they used to only cost $70, and that is genuine mitsubishi...whoever is selling them for that price is ripping you off. for the problem you are having, verify the correct fuse is being used, and check your wiring for short circuits.

Probably in Canada, I checked pricing at a local dealer, about a week back and they quoted $288, I ended up getting an aftermarket unit. Works fine so far
Old Sep 18, 2015, 05:36 AM

Well the dealer wanted $4500.00 to replace part of the engine bay wiring harness, the PCM, and the Fan control module. needless to say, I will not be forking over 3 times what the car is worth to resolve this issue, instead a temp sensor and 50 amp relay are on the way to bypass the PCM and Fan controller completely. Hopefully I do not run into more issues from the faulty PCM.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah just hit up a junk yard and pull the parts yourself. If you look really good you could probably get all those parts for less than $300. Thanks for updating us.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 07:02 PM

PCM 49.99 on EBay, Fan power wires 2 bucks, fan control module 16 bucks, FCM wiring harness another 2 bucks all from the junkyard. For a grand total of $69.99 and she is running cool again!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice. There's a reason many people call the dealership a stealership. My local dealership doesn't seem too bad but I prefer to do all my own work on my car.