Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Headers and the CEL?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2002, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers and the CEL?

Ok, so I'm aware that there are two cats on the lancer, and that the second one is where the O2 sensor is. When I was talking to someone from RRM regarding the test pipe, he said that the first cat is built into the exhaust manifold.. I was just curious if you replace the manifold with headers, and put on the RRM test pipe, would this set off the CEL? or is the Cat mounted on the bottom of the manifold so that the headers will mount in to it also?
Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

The RRM Test Pipe has a spot for the 02 Censor to be installed. It will not make the check engine light come on. As for the Header, if it does come on. Then you would have to get a mil eliminator!! It would still make everything else work. but it would just eliminate that sensor so that the Check Engine Light does not come on. IF you have any questions on the Header!! E-Mail BigJoshRacing@cs.com. You'll also find him on the forums!!! Hope that Helped.....
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the help, still not sure if I want to do anything that will void the warranty for a few more months, incase anything turns up hehe.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 07:34 AM

ILP performance has the CEL elminators, allowing you to go completely cat-free, without loosing the remainaing check engine functions, I know they were selling them for $15 a while back.

I'm using one, call 267-784-0852 for info.

Jeff
Old Aug 27, 2002, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

I've had my header installed for almost a month now and the CEL has not been triggered yet!
Old Sep 5, 2002, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

so is gettin a kamikazi header gonna mess my car up????
Old Sep 5, 2002, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

From what I understand, the kamikazee has places for the o2 sensors to plug into, and therefore should not, with proper fitment, trigger a CEL.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 06:50 PM

Streetlancer
are you aware if kamikaze has fixed the fit problems on their headers. I have been reading to many complaints of having to redrill in order to be able to fit the kamikaze headers.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

I had my headers for a few months now and now the CEL is coming on and the headers are louder than my stero equipment. I don't know whats wrong. I might go to the dealership to see what can be wrong
Old Nov 2, 2002, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

They'll tell you to go stick it where the sun don't shine, buddy. I got a ten minute lecture about my Injen last time I was at mine, and I was having a climate control system problem.

Supposedly the new Kamikazees have been redone to fix fitment issues. However, I've heard more and more that no matter what, you need the the mil or cel eliminators. Not sure though, someone else might be more qualified to answer some of this. I think I posted that immediately after the Kamikazees came out, and were reputed to not trigger an engine light at that time. To be honest, I was pretty suprised to see my own post here... don't remember making it or when. Sorry for the hold up on reply, Rupina.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

After I installed the RRM headers, my CEL came on almost immediately. I just removed the CEL bulb and placed it in one of the bulb housings that is not activated. To my knowledge, the CEL will not cause any performace issues, other than a annoying orange light.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Its a simply fix! The fix sensor can not be elimated b/c it reads A/F ratio and tells your ECU how your car is running. DONT NOT ELIMINATE!!!! The only way the first O2 sensor will throw a code is if the sensor its self is going bad. As for the second O2 sensor, its just a sensor for emissions. It just reads high voltage to low voltage over and over. It reads this only when a cat is restricting the flow. If you check the code when it comes up it will say something like to high of flow for O2 sensor. You can simply purchase a O2 simulator or use a spark plug buffer to restrice the flow to the sensor and stop the code. I know there is a post that tells you how to use the spark plug buffer but i dont know where it is. I read it along time ago. I did the spark plug buffer on my turbo setup and it worked fine. I have a manifold and test pipe with no cats.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:32 PM
HBZ

get a 18 mm spark plug anti fouler from any parts store..
drill it out to 1/2 inch .. uncrew your 2nd 02 sensor and thread in the anti fouler ...thread your 02 sensor into the anti fouler and then reset your ecu ...
should fix your prob.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 03:23 PM
TEJ
Evolving Member

My SES light was just triggered a couple days ago from my headers.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TEJ
My SES light was just triggered a couple days ago from my headers.
Congrats!

Fox

Quick Reply: Headers and the CEL?