Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2008 Lancer GTS - Poor acceleration & Loud Engine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Lancer GTS - Poor acceleration & Loud Engine

After scouring these forums for months and trying various solutions, it's time I register and start my own thread.

My 08 Lancer GTS w/ CVT Tran ~ 80k miles has had very poor acceleration with a grinding sound from the engine for some time now. It's almost as loud as my motorcycle while driving! The other day I struggled to push it over 60mph on a slight incline. It gets there, but groans every time I hit the gas. No problems with ignition, idling, power, or steering to speak of.

Here's what I've tried...

-Replaced Air Filter & Cabin Filter
-Replaced Radiator Hoses (this was due to a coolant leak which is probably unrelated)
-Replaced Spark Plugs (old ones were stained with carbon deposits but didn't seem severe)
-Oil Change
-Replaced Drive Pulley (recall service)

Within the past year, a mechanic suggested a fuel system cleaning but at the time, it sounded like a bait for add-ons.

For the air filter, I see a lot of posts that say if the bottom clips are loose this kind of thing could happen, but I pulled the filter to check and didn't really see that mine was off, although there was nothing really to snap into place. Besides, I'm no pro but it's hard to believe a loose air filter could make my engine operate so poorly.

Last note, I tried activating CVT which I don't normally use just to see if I could narrow it down to a certain gear and it didn't reveal much, except there was a high-pitch whining sound while using it.

Any suggestions? Could it be as simple as a fuel system flush or am I likely looking at a major transmission issue? The catalytic converter was a thought, but I've experienced that in another car and that sounded more like pieces of metal rattling around than a weak engine, plus it didn't affect performance.

Thank you!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you are saying it sounds very loud, have you checked for exhaust leaks?

It doesn't sound like an exhaust leak would give you such poor performance. But, you never know.

Does a check engine light come up at all? Or any light for that matter?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you find the problem? I would bet it was the catalytic converter. My 08 GTS has a small hole just past the cat and it has gotten louder and performance has dropped.

I have a question about getting the replacement. Since mine has CA emissions, it is a devil to replace. Particularly because of the flange connections on the pipe on both sides of the converter. Does anyone know where to find one?

I found two sites claiming to have OEM parts - one is mitsubishiparts.net and the other is mitsubishiparts.com, which says it is actually Cherry Hill Mitsu near Philly. Anybody have any experience with those two parts places? It is a lot to pay but if it is the genuine part at least I know it will work.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I forgot to update. It was the exhaust manifold. Shop replaced it. Good as new.
The following users liked this post:
eman_226 (Oct 12, 2016)