Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

03 Lancer ES Death and Rebirth Issues

Old May 4, 2016, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Lancer ES Death and Rebirth Issues

So a couple of months ago, the Lancer died on us. The car was over heating (leak in the radiator) and lost power and refused to turn back over, just clicked. Had it towed back to the house and went on a long and tedious journey of slowly saving up and replacing the alternator, ECM, O2 sensors, spark plugs, spark wires, radiator, fuel pump, cleaned the throttle body and replaced that gasket, and a couple of other small things. Checked fuses and they seem fine, but I'm no car guy by many means and I was wondering if anyone may have some advice. I am linking a video of what happens if you try to start it currently, any direction to go would be extremely appreciated, and I would be more than happy to provide any other details you might find necessary. I am guessing the starter at this point, but I wanted some further input before moving forward.

Thank you.

Old May 5, 2016, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
sounds like it has no compression...take your upper timing cover off, and make sure the timing belt is moving when you crank it, if not, then you have a whole other set of problems.

It isn't the starter, as it clearly works, and is doing everything it's supposed to...it's engaging the flywheel/flex plate because the engine is turning.

check the timing belt and check compression.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; May 5, 2016 at 07:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Alphonse509 (May 5, 2016)
Old May 5, 2016, 09:04 PM

After a bit of review, I do believe you are spot on. I went ahead and ordered replacement serpentine belts, a water pump and gasket, and on an unrelated issue, new tires. Once they arrive next week, I have a mechanic friend who will assist with the install. I suppose I will report back then. After thinking about it and putting the pieces together from what you told me, I didn't bother with a compression test knowing the timing belt and water pump was in need of changing regardless.

I really do appreciate the response, I'm still pretty new to DIY car repair, but it is communities like this one that make it all possible. This forum has been a wonderful resource, and I thank you for taking the time to look.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck. I hope it works out well for you
Old May 7, 2016, 08:28 PM

Hello, I picked up a lancer that the timing belt had broke on and it sounded the same way. I ended up doing a compression check just to see and had 0 on each cylinder. Pulled the head and every intake valve was bent and stuck open. Head could not be fixed cause it also broke some valve guides so I bought a new head, and gasket kit. new head bolts also. took my time and replaced everything and it now purs like a kitten. I would recommend not just replacing stuff until you diagnose what the real problem is at it can get expensive.