Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Not firing on banks 2-3 and coil pack is burning up?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not firing on banks 2-3 and coil pack is burning up?

Hi I'm new on the forums I have 2005 Mitsubishi lancer 4 cylinder that was was running fine until messed with ground on coil wires. Now it starts and shakes bad and the ignition coil pack was replaced 80$ and still no fire on banks 2-3 but 1-4 is firing i think that is how it is wired also coil pack gets so hot it melts. on the coils connector there is three wires white,black and black with color stripe were does the black ground wire go from coil pack front ecu? Or pcm? what would cause this so weird please any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Mitsubishi ^_^; Jun 8, 2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitsubishi ^_^
Hi I'm new on the forums I have 2005 Mitsubishi lancer 4 cylinder that was was running fine until messed with ground on coil wires. Now it starts and shakes bad and the ignition coil pack was replaced 80$ and still no fire on banks 2-3 but 1-4 is firing i think that is how it is wired also coil pack gets so hot it melts. on the coils connector there is three wires white,black and black with color stripe were does the black ground wire go from coil pack front ecu? Or pcm? what would cause this so weird please any help will be much appreciated.

white is 12v from fuse 1 under the dash and feeds the collector of the coil's transistor, black is ground for the emitter, and black-green, or black-yellow goes from the transistor base, to the ECM.

what did you do to the ground for the coils, and why?
The following users liked this post:
Mitsubishi ^_^ (Jun 13, 2016)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
white is 12v from fuse 1 under the dash and feeds the collector of the coil's transistor, black is ground for the emitter, and black-green, or black-yellow goes from the transistor base, to the ECM.

what did you do to the ground for the coils, and why?
My fan stopped working car was getting a little hot so I grounded my fans ground to coil ground black wire and that's when car started running rough and not firing on 2-3.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

My fan stopped working car was getting a little hot so I grounded my fans ground to coil ground black wire and that's when car started running rough and not firing on 2-3.
are you sure it wasn't the black wire with the color stripe? where exactly did you ground the fans to? did it arc, or do anything weird? swap the coils around, are you sure you replaced the correct coil?
Mitsubishi ^_^ (Jun 14, 2016)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:54 PM

are you sure it wasn't the black wire with the color stripe? where exactly did you ground the fans to? did it arc, or do anything weird? swap the coils around, are you sure you replaced the correct coil?
I'm sure I grounded it to the black wire the one in the middle and boom minutes later car missing on 2-3. It did spark a bit but fans were running as normal.also I did buy a coil 80$ and it melted it like butter to. Why would this happen is the black/wire with color stripe sending the pulse signal and charging the coil constantly? And thanks for helping.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sure I grounded it to the black wire the one in the middle and boom minutes later car missing on 2-3. It did spark a bit but fans were running as normal.also I did buy a coil 80$ and it melted it like butter to. Why would this happen is the black/wire with color stripe sending the pulse signal and charging the coil constantly? And thanks for helping.
sounds like the coil is drawing too much current, but the ground wire for the coils is electrically the same as chassis ground, because all circuits in the car are technically parallel, so it should be fine. but it's not...did you splice into the wire, or just use the ground same grounding point on the chassis?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 09:25 AM

sounds like the coil is drawing too much current, but the ground wire for the coils is electrically the same as chassis ground, because all circuits in the car are technically parallel, so it should be fine. but it's not...did you splice into the wire, or just use the ground same grounding point on the chassis?
I spliced into the wire and wired the fans ground wire black to the coils ground wire which was also black.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I spliced into the wire and wired the fans ground wire black to the coils ground wire which was also black.
undo what you did, check fan control relay, and fusible link #2, if both check good, replace your fan control module, and replace the coil...
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:43 AM

undo what you did, check fan control relay, and fusible link #2, if both check good, replace your fan control module, and replace the coil...
When this problem happened I removed the wire and taped the splices up. I also found that the fan fuse under the hood was poorly connected and that was why fans where not working. I pulled it out reinserted it and fans are running fine. I then replaced the burnt coil with new coil and now new coil melts. I will check all the fuse and let you know thanks I really do appreciate all the help.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:57 AM

Come to think of it I may have touch the fans ground to the black and color wire on coil would this cause the pcm to short out and burn coils on affected side?😞
Old Jun 14, 2016, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Come to think of it I may have touch the fans ground to the black and color wire on coil would this cause the pcm to short out and burn coils on affected side?😞
possible...i'll look into it.