Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2011 es spark knock!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 es spark knock!

Hey lady's and gents, I have a 2011 lancer es. It started spark knocking and I'd like it to stop. I checked the plugs and and they are burning clean and have proper gap as per the owner manual. Anyone have issues with spark knock? Could it be the knock sensor? Coils? Any info would be great.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tucknroll
Hey lady's and gents, I have a 2011 lancer es. It started spark knocking and I'd like it to stop. I checked the plugs and and they are burning clean and have proper gap as per the owner manual. Anyone have issues with spark knock? Could it be the knock sensor? Coils? Any info would be great.
Are you datalogging knock, or is it audible? also wrong section...since this problem is not engine specific, it's ok to reply here...if it gets moved, I may not reply, as I don't lurk the new lancer section.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 06:28 PM

You can hear it, car gets to temp and almost immediately you can hear it. I got the car used so I thought maybe someone put the wrong plug in it, not the case. I ran a higher octane gas in it thinking maybe that would help and it didn't do anything but empty my pocket faster.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tucknroll
You can hear it, car gets to temp and almost immediately you can hear it. I got the car used so I thought maybe someone put the wrong plug in it, not the case. I ran a higher octane gas in it thinking maybe that would help and it didn't do anything but empty my pocket faster.
if you are running higher octane fuel, and it still knocks (assuming you have not changed the fuel maps via tuning/reflashing) then either it's not knock, or you may have a problem with your fuel/ignition system, or the engine is running too hot...

did it start happening after you did something, like replacing spark plugs or something?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:50 PM

Didn't do anything, got the car and drove it for 3-4 months before it started.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:51 PM

Everything is %100 stock, check in the manual and it's running the proper plugs and they are burning clean.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

you're running the highest octane fuel available to you on a stock tune? might not be knock. most cars knock a little bit, but the ECU will retard timing when it's detected...you could try replacing the knock sensor, and double check your spark plugs are the correct heat range, not just the gap.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 08:50 AM

They are the correct plug according to the manual,I was running regular for the first 4-5 months of owning it, didn't figure it needed anything higher because it's not a performance car.then I switched to mid grade to for quite some time to see if it would make a difference and still nothing. The highest octane is $1.22 a litre right now.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

believe me, I know...I HAVE to run 94 octane in my car