Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2009 Lancer DE won't start after engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 Lancer DE won't start after engine rebuild

Hi all,

My 09 lancer DE won't start up after we rebuild the engine (reason being that the previous owner did change the oil and it became tar like and also had a burned valve)

We rebuild it and put it back together, connected all the wire-ring/ harness back.
When I turn the ignition key, the lights come on like service engine soon, fuel cache, temperature etc.
Not nothing after stating it.
I hear the fuel also make a sound like it is sending fuel ( so I guess it is ok).

We connected a cable to the starter and connect the other end to the battery and the engine seems to want to crank a little ( just turns a bit and stops)
We checked the relays and fuses and the only defective fuse we was of the cigarette lighter.

Someone told us that this is something that Mitsubishi engine does after rebuild,
He said something to do with the harness.

Does anybody have an idea on this?

Thx in advance
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check all your connections. Is the starter engaging and turning? Did you check the voltage at the stater vs at the battery? Have you tried to jump it? Is timing correct?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 04:08 AM

Yes, we checked the battery, we made a bridge from the starter to the battery and it turns a a bit and that's it.
What we notice is that the only part of the harness that connects to the starter is a green cable with a plug and we don't see any other wire.
If not mistaken I thinking the starter isn't getting voltage from that wire, but there is no other wire to connect to the starter.
The timing is also correctly done.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
1. There should be a thick cable bolted to the starter and coming from the battery. Ensure this is on there. You reference a green wire to the starter - but how thick? Pix if unsure. Double/triple check all engine, tranny, and fuel connectors, etc. Do you have a OBD II code reader? If not - buy one and pull codes.

2. The rebuild was faulty. If the engine cannot be turned by hand with the spark plugs out (through several rotations) you need to pull it and find out *why*. SRY.

Last edited by Veronica; Jul 20, 2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, and "No, this is not normal to a mitsu engine after rebuild."

Kindly slap that person, please.

Good luck! Let us know what you find!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 08:11 PM

Hi, before we mounted the engine back after the rebuild, we turned it by hand several times and it was good, forgot to add that.
I ordered a OBD II scanner, waiting for it to arrive.
Also when we made a short cut from the battery to the ignition with a wire, we could trigger the engine, for some reason the electricity isn't reaching the starter to trigger it, when I try to start it from the ignition.
The lights, radio, windows, door lock works, but engine is a no go.
I was thinking maybe the wiring harness might have issues, but we only took out the engine, but like you said we need to scan the car.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Please post a picture of the starter connections. I think this is the issue.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:37 AM

I have taken pictures of the cable and engine.
You see the yellow and green wire that functions as a bridge to go directly from battery to the starter.
In the other picture you see the plug that is used that is on the harness.
Question is it possible that if the engine is rebuild, that there can be error code that might prevent the car from starting?
Because as we jump the car with the wire, it turns as long as the wire is connected.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Lancer DE won't start after engine rebuild-20160731_125754_resized.jpg   2009 Lancer DE won't start after engine rebuild-20160731_125736_resized.jpg   2009 Lancer DE won't start after engine rebuild-20160731_125813_resized.jpg  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

DO NOT HAVE THAT EXPOSED POWER WIRE RIGHT OVER THE GAS/AIR OF THE THROTTLE OPENING. It just has to move a wee bit, spark as it grounds against the TB and Boom! Problem solved. :O

You need the MAF (part of the intake) properly hooked up to start the engine.

You need to find out why the signal to turn the starter is not working - check neutral/park starter safety circuit (a connector left off?). Bad key fob (battery died)? ECU? Wiring? Relay?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the info, we removed the MAF so we could take a picture and will replace the wire asap.
We are going to test the relays and the battery is new.

What I wanted to know is about the plug that is circled in red, this is the only connector that is near the starter and we slide it on the solenoid if not mistaken.
That wire is the one that has no voltage/ current on it.
Is this wire suppose to get voltage from the battery or is it ground?

Also might you know if there is suppose to be another wire that has voltage and one has to be ground?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Lancer DE won't start after engine rebuild-1.jpg  
Old Aug 14, 2016, 02:16 PM

Hi all,

We were checking the engine and notice that there is an opening (triangle like shape) located between the starter and throttle body (near intake).
When I put my hand on it and the engine started to turn, I could feel it sucking air in, normally the engine should have a vacuum effect correct?
Is this suppose to open or closed, because it look like it has something that is supposed to cover it, due to the 2 bolt hole location that I see.
There is no hose left to connect it to, so the only option we think, is that it was cover by some plastic or metal like cover

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Lancer DE won't start after engine rebuild-img_20160814_135803.jpg  

Last edited by Dstorm7; Aug 14, 2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:12 PM

Hi, we found out what was connected there.
It's the EGR valve, seems the car never had and the previous owner might have covered up but did a terrible job.
I let the machine shop make a blind plate from the EGR valve gasket and covered it up.
Now we are going to replace the camshaft sensor and the crank shaft sensor, since the engine isn't turning at all with the bridge we made between the starter solenoid to the starter rely directly.
It is a long shot but it might be that the crankshaft is defective, since all the spark plugs are new and haven't even gotten a darker color on them.
They still look brand new.
Also the injector do get electricity
Old Dec 30, 2017, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you find what the problem was?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 03:48 PM

Hi bs09lancer,

Yes we did find out the problem, it was the ECU that wasn't sending the signal to the crankshaft sensor, so program on it was copied and put on a new ECU and the car started immediately.

Glad that was over, she handles like a dream now.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you didn't just replace the ECU , you also had to reprogram it?
Was that done at the Mitsubishi dealer? If so was it expensive?

Quick Reply: 2009 Lancer DE won't start after engine rebuild