Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2002 Lancer OZ Cruise Control Help - Please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Lancer OZ Cruise Control Help - Please

Hello all.... I'm back after about 10 years of being quiet... Why? Because this Lancer has been awesome, with very few problems.

Backstory
My wife and I bought it new in 2001 (it's an 02), right out of the showroom floor. Got 0/0/0/ financing on it! Paid it off quick, and racked up 200k miles on it in short order commuting 90 miles (one way) while in San Diego. The car has never left us stranded, and is just awesome... I've replaced a couple things here and there, but my biggest claim to fame is that NO ONE ELSE TOUCHES MY CAR! I do Mobil1 and PureOne filter changes every 10k miles, Red Line gear oil tranny changes every 40k miles, and I only replace parts when they fail (starter at 190k, fuel sender (failed temp sensor on it) at 150k, clutch slave at 210k (I went ahead and did the clutch also), and that's it...)

The car has been excellent, and we are seriously thinking of letting our soon to be 15 year old daughter drive it...

The Lancer has been out of commuting duty for years, now just driving me back and forth to work (12 miles round trip), so the miles have been moving slower the last few years...

Just recently my wife was able to head back to school to become a teacher (on the VA's dime), so the Lancer is now commuting about 60 miles (round trip) per day.

The one thing that has bothered me all these years, that I would like to get fixed for my wife, is the cruise control stopped working....

Years ago I troubleshot it to what I thought was a faulty Cruise Control ECU, but I never bought one because A) I wasn't commuting, and B) it was expensive. Since my wife started commuting I have reopened this cold case, and actually found a Cruise Control ECU on Ebay for $20 shipped, so I bit. Installed it the other day, no joy...

Symptoms:
Push cruise control button (at freeway speeds), light comes on, but nothing else happens.
I tried to do the whole Cruise Control diagnostic mode thing, but the Cruise light just flashes steady when I do that.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Checked fuse #4 (7.5A) with a Fluke 77 multimeter. Fuse is good.
2. Swapped Cruise Control ECU with used one, no change.
3. Replaced vacuum lines from pump to actuator on the throttle body.
4. Inspected the inside of actuator on throttle body, rubber diaphragm looks fine, spring is good.
5. Sucked on vacuum lines and made throttle body actuator move, and it stays in place fine when I hold suction.
6. Turned on vacuum pump with battery (attached +/- of battery to gray/yellow of pump). Pump turns on, but I don't get any vacuum out of it. I DO get vacuum out of nipple on the side of the pump, where the little 90 degree rubber vacuum line is, but no vacuum out of the main outlet to the throttle body actuator.

I'm wondering if I should replace the vacuum pump, or if anyone has any further troubleshooting ideas?

Hopefully this thread will not only help me, but also anyone else troubleshooting this in the future...

James
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Update... Just read PDF GR00002900 and noticed I have more troubleshooting to do on the pump... Looks like I need to ground the other two pins before getting suction.

I will report back with more info later.

James
Old Oct 21, 2016, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Have you changed the timing belt yet?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

LOL...Yes. 2 times now (every 90k miles) with original Mitsubishi belts.

Sorry I didn't mention the other routine maintenance I have done.

One important aspect (in my opinion) is using OEM Mitsubishi parts instead of the Chinese Auto Zone stuff. All the Mitsu parts I order are OEM, from Japan... I think this is important in keeping my car a long running Mitsubishi, instead of a Chinese car....

James
Old Nov 10, 2023, 11:33 PM

quick question

Originally Posted by thedeatons
LOL...Yes. 2 times now (every 90k miles) with original Mitsubishi belts.

Sorry I didn't mention the other routine maintenance I have done.

One important aspect (in my opinion) is using OEM Mitsubishi parts instead of the Chinese Auto Zone stuff. All the Mitsu parts I order are OEM, from Japan... I think this is important in keeping my car a long running Mitsubishi, instead of a Chinese car....

James
where do you buy the oem
parts from? like what page
Old Nov 11, 2023, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Either your local dealer or a Mitsu parts warehouse online.

QUOTE=josemencia;11974136]where do you buy the oem
parts from? like what page[/QUOTE]