Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Major Coolant leak from driver side of engine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Major Coolant leak from driver side of engine

I'll try to keep this short as I can. Yesterday I came out of the store to a huge puddle of anti-freeze under my car. Popped the hood and it wasn't coming from either of the main hoses to the radiator or the overflow tank. Tried to get underneath it and saw it was all coming from the driver's side of the engine.

It wasn't overheating on the way there so I started it up to see if it was hot or if more would come out. It didn't, at least not that I could see. I drove it about 30 minutes back to my house and it ran cool as can be. I had the heater off the whole time figuring that the leak must be in the heater system somewhere. This morning there was a wet spot about the size of a basketball where more had leaked out.

I did the timing belt and water pump a little over a weak ago and have had no problems until this. And I did bleed the system if that makes a difference. I just pulled the air box out so I could get a better look and noticed the one of the larger hoses coming from the fire wall (heater core hose?) to the back of the engine was collapsed right by where it connects to the engine. I also saw the lower radiator hose was sucked in a little too.

Looked up some threads on here and saw something about the radiator cap not letting air back in when the engine cooled. So I took it off to check it and I heard pressure get relieved (air suck in) and both hoses look like they went back to normal or at least closer than they were. But the radiator cap is relatively new and didn't seem to be seized up.

If anyone has any insight that would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by RyanD3; Oct 30, 2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Vacuum in the coolant system is caused by a blockage...if the radiator cap released the negative pressure then that seems like it would be the likely culprit, however there may be a blockage in the radiator itself, and the leak is cause for concern because that means coolant is not returning to the radiator. It's possible a blockage caused excessive pressure somewhere and coolant pushed out one of the hose ends...check that your coolant overflow hose is not too full or obstructed, and that the rad cap is the correct part #, since you say it's fairly new, it's obviously not the OEM cap. Also, you'll want to be sure that your thermostat is not stuck closed and that your radiator isn't clogged. Next you need to isolate the leak, and diagnose further.
The following users liked this post:
RyanD3 (Nov 2, 2016)
Old Nov 2, 2016, 06:56 PM

Hey CrAnSwIcK thanks a lot for taking the time to write that response. I really appreciate it. I bought a new radiator cap and found that it WAS actually the problem. Must have just been defective. And I found that the leak was on the hose I talked about that I think goes to the heater core. I think that the problem was actually going on for a while because the hose was was all stretched out and weak where the leak was and where it was collapsed. I patched it with a duct tape/electrical tape combo for now, haha. But I'm going to order a new hose soon. Thank you again for taking the time though it was really helpful and informative.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Replace the clamps as well. There is usually only one weakest point at a time next time it will be a different place. Lol
Old Nov 5, 2016, 07:12 AM

Haha, okay thanks for the tip I will definitely make sure to do that then. NAPA said they don't even have a part number for the hoses so i guess I will have to find them on ebay or something because Rock Auto didn't seem to have them either. Any suggestions on where to order the hoses from?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RyanD3
Haha, okay thanks for the tip I will definitely make sure to do that then. NAPA said they don't even have a part number for the hoses so i guess I will have to find them on ebay or something because Rock Auto didn't seem to have them either. Any suggestions on where to order the hoses from?
Do you want genuine OEM? I can get you part numbers, I just need to know which hoses you require.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:20 AM

Yeah that would be great if they aren't too expensive. I am pretty sure it is the heater core hose. It is one of two hoses that goes from the engine to the the firewall. They are an inch OD and 11/16" ID from what I measured. If they come as a set I will get both while I'm at it. But if they come individually that works too. If that description isn't clear enough I can snap a picture of the hose I'm talking about and post it for you.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RyanD3
Yeah that would be great if they aren't too expensive. I am pretty sure it is the heater core hose. It is one of two hoses that goes from the engine to the the firewall. They are an inch OD and 11/16" ID from what I measured. If they come as a set I will get both while I'm at it. But if they come individually that works too. If that description isn't clear enough I can snap a picture of the hose I'm talking about and post it for you.
Yeah those should be heater core hoses...could you send me a pm to remind me to get the part numbers for you?