Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Clicking noise from steering wheel of Mitsubishi Lancer ES 2.0L 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking noise from steering wheel of Mitsubishi Lancer ES 2.0L 2013

Long story short... I lancer making clunking noise. I took to dealership and they told me rubber pad of struts is bad and need to replace. I told them to replace and got car back by paying their fees. When I came home and went for long drive. I heard kind of noise from steering wheel when turning. Again I took to dealership they charged diagnosis fees and did not found any issues. I came home and did some search and found that it may cause issues when tie rod went bad. So, I decided to replace my tie rod in and out on the drivers side because the it looks some kind of torn and I get the occasional "pop" noise while turning.

I have a 2013 Lancer ES. 2.0L.

So I replaced my drivers side outer tie and inner tie rod hoping to solve the issue. I also replaced the sway bar link.

After getting it all back together and going for a drive, I noticed that there was a noise from steering wheel sound clicking.

Figured I would go for an alignment this morning and let them look at it.

The shop aligned the car and said that all of the hardware looked good and tight so there should be no noise.

Drove lancer home, still noticed the clinking noise when turning steering wheel.

I have a feeling that I did not tighten the nut on the tie rod end at the knuckle enough so I double checked it, the bottom of the boot is almost resting on the top of the knuckle.

Any ideas on whats going on here?

Thank you.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hard to say what it could be. Is it a clunk while turning in a certain direction? Does it sound like its actually in the steering column or just noise coming up the column? Can you feel it in the wheel? Try jacking the front end up and turn side to side, can you re create it? If you can re create it, then you will need a lift or ramps to put weight on the car's tires, have a friend look under the car while you shake the steering wheel and look for any loose steering components. It is also possible that a u-joint in the steering column has gone bad.