Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

post all STRANGE NOISE complaints here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lifters side movment

So i got video here
it all begin after test drive i did when car was sitting for couple months in shop..I replaced clutch and went for a spin. it run so good..for half a mile n when i got back this noise started. I towed it to my mechanic he first told me to replace lifters, now to replace head..becouse lifters move sideways..are that loose.. is it posible? what should I do?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
sounds like there's no oil in it, lol...

did you let it warm up and get good and lubricated? did you get into boost on your test drive? sounds like bottom end to me, like a blown rod bearing or something...that's pretty loud for a valve train, but I'm not there to hear it for myself...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 06:09 AM

shame on me. the car didnt warm up..;/ it was due to oil change as well.. n yes i was hiting redline..
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:36 PM

2004 Lancer ES clicks when shifting between reverse and drive

I can go into further detail if necessary, but I'm going to post the link to my YouTube video that explains the sound pretty well, and you'll be able to hear it for yourself. If anyone knows what could be causing this please let me know. Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:20 PM

Aight ladies and gentlemen. I've got a humdinger of a noise. (I will attempt to get video soon)

2003 Evo 8, 160k+ miles, mostly stock, some injen intake piping, boost controller, and other things not in the engine bay
Basically, it makes this cooing/warbling "OOOOOOOOOOOOH" noise on cold starts, mostly when the inside fan is turned to on. It's loud. It comes from the front of the engine area, I can't pin point it. It does not change frequency or pitch with throttle, it's just on or off depending on the fan, until the vehicle is warm about 5-10 minutes later, then it's gone. It rarely did it last winter, maybe for like 10 seconds each time I started up, so it was very hard to trace.

Well, now it's evolved. Yes, pun intended. It has started this metal on metal squeaking noise. So it either coo's really loudly, or the squeak, until the car warms up, now usually lasting more than 10 minutes however til the noise stops. (I've been freezing my *** off with the fan off to keep the noise down, unless my kids are in the car, then i put the heat on)

I was able to pop the hood for a minute today and listen closer, and i'm relatively sure its coming from the left (looking at engine) somewhere in or around the pullys/belts.

Please Obi-wan, help me... you're my only hope...
Old Dec 8, 2015, 09:04 PM

Strange noise from the alternator

Here is a film of the noises my alternator seems to be making, kind of sounds like a cat in heat. The car stays charged fine when I am driving, but the battery drains when the car is parked overnight. If I jump start, it dies when I unplug. The day the battery issues started, the car was making these noises. After a mile of driving like this, there is also a nasty chemical smell. The noise is loudest in the cabin, near the glove box. It isn't as loud at idle, mostly overwhelmed by engine noise, but looking under the hood, you can still hear it when you get close to the alternator. The belt seems to be in great condition, all of the pulleys are spinning, and seem to be true, maybe a little vibration on the pulley where the alternator belt and the serpentine join.

I intend to remove the alternator tonight to get it tested, but if anyone can tell me what is going on, before I do this, I would appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I recorded at the steering wheel when I should have put it by the glove box, it gets loudest on the video around 35mph. It is very loud when I start, and then quiets down when I idle, silent if I sit in neutral for a while.

Old Dec 10, 2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by rdcollns
Here is a film of the noises my alternator seems to be making, kind of sounds like a cat in heat. The car stays charged fine when I am driving, but the battery drains when the car is parked overnight. If I jump start, it dies when I unplug. The day the battery issues started, the car was making these noises. After a mile of driving like this, there is also a nasty chemical smell. The noise is loudest in the cabin, near the glove box. It isn't as loud at idle, mostly overwhelmed by engine noise, but looking under the hood, you can still hear it when you get close to the alternator. The belt seems to be in great condition, all of the pulleys are spinning, and seem to be true, maybe a little vibration on the pulley where the alternator belt and the serpentine join.

I intend to remove the alternator tonight to get it tested, but if anyone can tell me what is going on, before I do this, I would appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I recorded at the steering wheel when I should have put it by the glove box, it gets loudest on the video around 35mph. It is very loud when I start, and then quiets down when I idle, silent if I sit in neutral for a while.

Alternator Sounds - YouTube
I had it tested, and the alternator failed.

Does anyone know if any 2005 Lancer ES models use the 2004 alternator? The fitting Autozone's computer recommended was a totally different style until we told the computer to check the 2004. It makes me nervous that if I buy the 2005, it will come with the wrong connection.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 05:28 AM

Does evo's have a high noise around 4k rpm? I had recently replaced the balance shaft belt, recenetly being probably 4-5 months ago, I was curious if its usually loud around 4krpm +? Before when the belt was torn, it was unbearably loud. now its like quiet as hell compared to before lol
Old May 2, 2016, 11:03 AM

Hello everyone. This is my first post to this forum. I have been spying on this site for a while and decided to give it a try. I am currently having a thudding sound when I am launching from first gear only. It mostly happens when its cold out, I live in South Dakota so the temp is usually quite cold, and sometimes when its warm. Checked motor and engine mounts, clutch feels really nice and had some buddys try to duplicate the problem but no success. Thanks for any tips!

Old May 2, 2016, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

check the transmission cross member mounting bolts...can you recreate the noise if you aggressively let out the clutch while driving?
Old May 3, 2016, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
check the transmission cross member mounting bolts...can you recreate the noise if you aggressively let out the clutch while driving?
I definitely tried that and nothing happened. Couldn't recreate the noise this morning. Tried for about 5 minutes. Ill check the bolts this weekend when I have time. No noise today on daily driving.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 09:27 PM

Hey there so i have a strange groaning vibration at around 3000 - 4000 rpm. Seems to be coming from trans tcase area. Car has 98k miles about 350 hp it only happens when trans is engaged dosent matter if its decel or accel. Its quite loud and only exists in this rev range its right around were the car starts building boost. Ill have it to the dealer for the recalls but im worried is this the tcase whine everyone talks about? Its more of a groan than a whine and it vibrates through the frame of the car it dosent seem to be getting worse but it is definitely a cause for concern. It would be nice to know what i need to start saving for. Any info would be very appreciated.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MREVO9NOOB
Hey there so i have a strange groaning vibration at around 3000 - 4000 rpm. Seems to be coming from trans tcase area. Car has 98k miles about 350 hp it only happens when trans is engaged dosent matter if its decel or accel. Its quite loud and only exists in this rev range its right around were the car starts building boost. Ill have it to the dealer for the recalls but im worried is this the tcase whine everyone talks about? Its more of a groan than a whine and it vibrates through the frame of the car it dosent seem to be getting worse but it is definitely a cause for concern. It would be nice to know what i need to start saving for. Any info would be very appreciated.
This is the fwd lancer forum, but have you checked the u joints on your driveshaft?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 05:33 AM

Oh sorry I didn't relize this was a lancer forum only I couldn't find any other topics in the search that really fit what I'm experiencing so I posted here. So u joint on the drive shaft you say I'll be giving that a thoro inspection. I really hope that's the case that sounds a lot cheaper than a trans or a tcase. Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MREVO9NOOB
Oh sorry I didn't relize this was a lancer forum only I couldn't find any other topics in the search that really fit what I'm experiencing so I posted here. So u joint on the drive shaft you say I'll be giving that a thoro inspection. I really hope that's the case that sounds a lot cheaper than a trans or a tcase. Thanks.
A wobbly driveshaft can destroy your tcase...the driveshaft hanger bearing could be gone too...good luck.

Quick Reply: post all STRANGE NOISE complaints here